The Plaintiff's Role in Enforcing a Court Ruling: Evidence from a Labor Court in Mexico
AbstractWe analyze the outcomes of 332 cases from a labor court in Mexico in which a judge awarded money to a plaintiff who claimed to have been fired by a firm without cause. The judgments were enforced in only 40% of the cases. A plaintiff may try to enforce a judgment by petitioning the court to seize the firm's assets when the firm refuses to pay. Thirty eight percent of the enforced judgments required at least one seizure attempt. We estimate the parameters of post judgment games in which the worker does not know if a seizure attempt would ultimately succeed and show that these models explain the data well. We then simulate the effects of a policy that reduces worker costs of a seizure attempt. We find that this policy would increase the probability of enforcement, either by increasing the probability that the worker attempts an asset seizure or by inducing firms to pay voluntarily to avoid such seizure attempts. However, reducing worker costs of seizure attempts can only have a modest effect on enforcement probabilities because a high percentage of firms are able to avoid payment in spite of worker efforts to force collection.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 38198.
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Labor Policy; Judicial Administration & Legal Reform; Workforce & Employment; Social Policy & Protection; Labor Courts; Severance Payments; Enforcement of Labor Law;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2011-10-15 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LAW-2011-10-15 (Law & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Djankov, Simeon & La Porta, Rafael & Shleifer, Andrei, 2008.
"The Law and Economics of Self-dealing,"
2907526, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Davis S. Kaplan & Joyce Sadka & Jorge Luis Silva-Mendez, 2006.
"Litigation and Settlement: New Evidence from Labor Courts in Mexico,"
0606, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Kaplan, David S. & Sadka, Joyce & Silva-Mendez, Jorge Luis, 2007. "Litigation and settlement : new evidence from labor courts in Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4434, The World Bank.
- Simeon Djankov & Oliver Hart & Caralee McLiesh & Andrei Shleifer, 2008.
"Debt Enforcement around the World,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(6), pages 1105-1149, December.
- Simeon Djankov & Oliver Hart & Caralee McLiesh & Andrei Shleifer, 2006. "Debt Enforcement Around the World," NBER Working Papers 12807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shleifer, Andrei & McLiesh, Caralee & Hart, Oliver & Djankov, Simeon, 2008. "Debt Enforcement Around the World," Scholarly Articles 2961825, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Josh Lerner & Antoinette Schoar, 2005. "Does Legal Enforcement Affect Financial Transactions? The Contractual Channel in Private Equity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(1), pages 223-246, January.
- Almeida, Rita & Carneiro, Pedro, 2009.
"Enforcement of labor regulation and firm size,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 28-46, March.
- Rafael Porta & Florencio Lopez-De-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2006.
"What Works in Securities Laws?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 1-32, 02.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 2003. "What Works in Securities Law?," NBER Working Papers 9882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, . "What Works in Securities Laws?," Working Paper 19491, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Gabriel Montes Rojas & Mauricio Santamaría, 2007. "The Burden of Labour Costs in Mexico," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 21(1), pages 157-188, 03.
- John Haltiwanger & Stefano Scarpetta & Helena Schweiger, 2008.
"Assessing Job Flows Across Countries: The Role of Industry, Firm Size and Regulations,"
NBER Working Papers
13920, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haltiwanger, John & Scarpetta, Stefano & Schweiger, Helena, 2006. "Assessing job flows across countries : the role of industry, firm size, and regulations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4070, The World Bank.
- Haltiwanger, John C. & Scarpetta, Stefano & Schweiger, Helena, 2006. "Assessing Job Flows across Countries: The Role of Industry, Firm Size and Regulations," IZA Discussion Papers 2450, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin N. Cowan & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2004.
"Effective Labor Regulation and Microeconomic Flexibility,"
NBER Working Papers
10744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Cowan, Kevin N. & Engel, Eduardo M.R.A. & Micco, Alejandro, 2013. "Effective labor regulation and microeconomic flexibility," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 92-104.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin N. Cowan & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2004. "Effective Labor Regulation and Microeconomic Flexibility," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1480, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jun 2010.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2004. "Effective Labor Regulation and Microeconomic Flexibility," Working Papers 893, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Ricardo J Caballero & Kevin N Cowan & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2007. "Effective Labor Regulation and Microeconomic Flexibility," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000990, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin N. Cowan & Eduardo M. R. A. Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2004. "Effective labor regulation and microeconomic flexibility," Working Papers 04-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Kaplan, David S. & Sadka, Joyce, 2008. "Enforceability of labor law : evidence from a labor court in Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4483, The World Bank.
- Govindan, Srihari & Reny, Philip J. & Robson, Arthur J., 2003. "A short proof of Harsanyi's purification theorem," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 369-374, November.
- Margolis, David N., 2014. "By Choice and by Necessity: Entrepreneurship and Self-Employment in the Developing World," IZA Discussion Papers 8273, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luis Daniel Martinez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.