The Second Story: Wholesale Microfinance in Latin America
AbstractDrawing on project documents, evaluations, surveys and interviews with participating financial intermediaries and second-tier institutions, this paper tells the story of the IDB¿s microenterprise global credit program. The purpose of the paper is to garner lessons from this experience that can be applied to future efforts to promote microfinance, especially those that involve a wholesale mechanism. This paper explores how market conditions and program design and execution elements have determined the IDB programs' success in meeting their dual objectives: expanding microenterprise access to financial services and strengthening financial institutions' capacities to serve microenterprises. It identifies the key factors that can spell success or failure for wholesale microfinance programs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 34801.
Date of creation: Mar 2003
Date of revision:
Microbusinesses & Microfinance; Financial Services; The Second Story: Wholesale Microfinance in Latin America-MSM-119; MSM2000-33P;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- MSM - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - - - -
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernardo Buillamon, 2000. "Risk Mitigation as a Cost-Effective Microfinance Strategy: Case Study IDB-Peru Global Micro-Enterprise Credit Program," IDB Publications 8664, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), 2008. "2008 Microscope on the Microfinance Business Environment in Latin America and the Caribbean," IDB Publications 8281, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Mohini Malhotra & Yanni Chen & Alberto Criscuolo & Qimiao Fan & Iva lIieva Hamel & Yevgeniya Savchenko, 2007. "Expanding Access to Finance : Good Practices and Policies for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6621.
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) & Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), 2008. "Microscope on the Microfinance Business Environment in Latin America 2007," IDB Publications 7405, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.