An Approach to the Economic Analysis of Solid Waste Disposal Alternatives
AbstractIn this best practice paper a mixed integer optimization approach to the selection of sanitary landfill site sizes and locations in a regional context is explained and illustrated using stylized cost and location information adapted from a real case study. After reviewing the basics of the heuristic approach to solid waste disposal site selection, the optimization model is laid out and solved in the case study context, initially in terms of financial costs. In a subsequent section, a way of incorporating the relative environmental damages of alternative locations into the model is suggested, and the example is re-solved with environmental costs included to show how they can influence the identification of the best set of sites. Suggestions about model refinements appear in a concluding section.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 30558.
Date of creation: Dec 1997
Date of revision:
Economics; Water Supply and Sanitation; Environment; 00054020; refuse and refuse disposal; sanitary landfills; refuse disposal facilities;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberts, Roland K. & Douglas, Peggy V. & Park, William M., 1991. "Estimating External Costs Of Municipal Landfill Siting Through Contingent Valuation Analysis: A Case Study," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Stephen K. Swallow & James J. Opaluch & Thomas F. Weaver, 1992. "Siting Noxious Facilities: An Approach That Integrates Technical, Economic, and Political Considerations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(3), pages 283-301.
- repec:fth:inadeb:308 is not listed on IDEAS
- William J. Vaughan & Sergio Ardila, 1993. "Economic Analysis of the Environmental Aspects of Investment Projects," IDB Publications 25438, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Smith, V Kerry & Desvousges, William H, 1986. "The Value of Avoiding a Lulu: Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 293-99, May.
- Arthur C. Nelson & John Genereux & Michelle Genereux, 1992. "Price Effects of Landfills on House Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(4), pages 359-365.
- Ready Mark J. & Ready Richard C., 1995. "Optimal Pricing of Depletable, Replaceable Resources: The Case of Landfill Tipping Fees," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 307-323, May.
- McConnell, K. E., 1990. "Models for referendum data: The structure of discrete choice models for contingent valuation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 19-34, January.
- Clark David E. & Nieves Leslie A., 1994. "An Interregional Hedonic Analysis of Noxious Facility Impacts on Local Wages and Property Values," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 235-253, November.
- John W. Duffield & David A. Patterson, 1991. "Inference and Optimal Design for a Welfare Measure in Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(2), pages 225-239.
- Mitchell, Robert Cameron & Carson, Richard T, 1986. "Property Rights, Protest, and the Siting of Hazardous Waste Facilities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 285-90, May.
- Kenneth E. McConnell, 1995. "Issues in Estimating Benefits with Non-Market Methods," IDB Publications 25298, Inter-American Development Bank.
- repec:idb:brikps:6813 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dooley, Frank J. & Bangsund, Dean A. & Leistritz, F. Larry & Fischer, William R., 1993. "Estimating Optimal Landfill Sizes and Locations in North Dakota," Agricultural Economics Reports 23366, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Opaluch James J. & Swallow Stephen K. & Weaver Thomas & Wessells Christopher W. & Wichelns Dennis, 1993. "Evaluating Impacts from Noxious Facilities: Including Public Preferences in Current Siting Mechanisms," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 41-59, January.
- Jorge Andrés Perdomo Calvo & Juan Andrés Ramírez, 2010. "Estrategia sobre ubicación y funcionamiento de estaciones de transferencia para el manejo de residuos sólidos en Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 007715, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.