Regulation and Contractual Adaptation in Public Utilities: The Case of Argentina
AbstractThis paper (IFM-115) evaluates a set of contractual adjustments, renegotiations and disputes that have taken place in different public utility industries in Argentina since 1991, considering: 1) Whether the decisions analyzed are inside the initial contract or represent a modification of it; 2) Whether they were motivated by unexpected shocks, by "loopholes" in the initial contracts, or just responded to a contractual failure (holdup by one of the parties); 3) The actors involved in the disputes and "production" of these innovations; and 4) How these disputes were resolved. In addition, lessons from twelve case studies within the energy and infrastructure sectors are observed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 29498.
Date of creation: Jun 1998
Date of revision:
Electricity; Petroleum; Coal & Natural Gas; Ports & Waterways; Railways; Water Supply and Sanitation; Public Utilities; Telecommunications; Regulation; Contractual Adaptation in Public Utilities; Argentina;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Artana, Daniel & Navajas, Fernando & Urbiztondo, Santiago, 2001. "Regulation policies towards utilities and competitive industries. The case of Argentina," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 585-607.
- Manuel A. Abdala, 2001. "Institutions, Contracts And Regulation Of Infrastructure In Argentina," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 217-254, November.
- Mario Bergara & Andrés Pereyra, 2005. "El proceso de diseño e implementación de políticas y las reformas en los servicios públicos," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1705, Department of Economics - dECON.
- J. Luis Guasch, 2004. "Granting and Renegotiating Infrastructure Concessions : Doing it Right," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15024, March.
- Goldstein, Andrea & Pires, Jose Claudio Linhares, 2002. "Brazilian Regulatory Agencies: Early Appraisal and Looming Challenges," Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers 30615, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Eduardo Saavedra, . "Opportunistic Behavior and Legal Disputes in the Chilean Electricity Sector," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv130, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.