Choosing Environmental Policy Tools: Theoretical Cautions and Practical Considerations
AbstractThis working paper contains a review and analysis of environmental policy tools in Latin America. It contains a review of the instruments themselves and their properties are discussed in both static and dynamic contexts. The report brings together the institutional and more narrowly economic material and attempts to offer general guidance on types of instruments that seem most promising in various combinations of circumstances. These recommendations are also contrasted with those from some other authors, to the extent that is possible. The penultimate section of the report contains summary material on efforts at environmental management in a few Latin American countries, especially on efforts to institute economic incentive systems. The concluding section contains both a summary of the major arguments and conclusions from earlier sections and some speculation about the possibilities for using environmental policy design as a way of influencing institutional evolution within developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 25258.
Date of creation: Jun 1996
Date of revision:
Pollution prevention; Environmental protection; Fiscal Policy; Environmental Policy; developing countries; fiscal benefits; environment; environmental protection;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sébastien Dessus & David Roland-Holst & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 1994. "Input-Based Pollution Estimates for Environmental Assessment in Developing Countries," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 101, OECD Publishing.
- Farrow, Scott, 1995. "The dual political economy of taxes and tradable permits," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 217-220, August.
- Bruce, Neil & Ellis, Gregory M., 1993. "Environmental taxes and policies for developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1177, The World Bank.
- Lyon, Randolph M., 1989. "Transferable discharge permit systems and environmental management in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(8), pages 1299-1312, August.
- Forster, Nancy R., 1992. "Protecting fragile lands: New reasons to tackle old problems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 571-585, April.
- Darrell L. Hueth, 1995. "The Use of Subsidies to Achieve Efficient Resource Allocation in Upland Watersheds," IDB Publications 39158, Inter-American Development Bank.
- William J. Vaughan & Sergio Ardila, 1993. "Economic Analysis of the Environmental Aspects of Investment Projects," IDB Publications 25438, Inter-American Development Bank.
- de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1993. "Market, state, and civil organizations in Latin America beyond the debt crisis: The context for rural development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 659-674, April.
- Russeli, Clifford S., 1986. "A note on the efficiency ranking of two second-best policy instruments for pollution control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 13-17, March.
- Thorbecke, Erik, 1993. "Impact of state and civil institutions on the operation of rural market and nonmarket configurations," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 591-605, April.
- Eskeland, Gunnar S & Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1992. "Policy Instruments for Pollution Control in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 7(2), pages 145-69, July.
- Glenn Jenkins & RANJIT LAMECH, 1994. "Green Taxes And Incentive Policies: An International Perspective," Development Discussion Papers 1994-02, JDI Executive Programs.
- Stavins Robert N., 1995. "Transaction Costs and Tradeable Permits," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 133-148, September.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Bohm, Peter & Russell, Clifford S., 1985. "Comparative analysis of alternative policy instruments," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 395-460 Elsevier.
- Arora Seema & Cason Timothy N., 1995. "An Experiment in Voluntary Environmental Regulation: Participation in EPA's 33/50 Program," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 271-286, May.
- repec:idb:brikps:55138 is not listed on IDEAS
- Escobar, Ninel & Chávez, Carlos, 2013. "Monitoring, firms’ compliance and imposition of fines: evidence from the Federal Industrial Inspection Program in Mexico City," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(06), pages 723-748, December.
- Murphy, James J. & Stranlund, John K., 2003. "An Experimental Analysis Of Compliance Behavior In Emissions Trading Programs: Some Preliminary Results," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22039, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Caffera, Marcelo, 2011. "The use of economic instruments for pollution control in Latin America: lessons for future policy design," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(03), pages 247-273, June.
- Marcelo Caffera & Juan Dubra, 2005. "Getting Polluters to Tell the Truth," Microeconomics 0504008, EconWPA.
- Jan Joost Kessler & Pieter van Ginniken & Willem Cornelissen & Bart Romijn, 2001. "Environmental Management: Towards a Conceptual Framework for Environmental Governance," IDB Publications 25158, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Tisdell, Clement A., 1997. "Economic Policy Instruments and Environmental Sustainability: A Second Look at Marketable or Tradeable Pollution or Environmental-Use Permits," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 47941, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- repec:idb:brikps:30818 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.