Belize Fiscal Study
AbstractThis paper is a review of the fiscal system of Belize. The emphasis of the study is on the revenue system in terms of its design, administration and its effectiveness in revenue mobilization. Belize is facing a critical public sector deficit situation, but its revenue system, although somewhat unconventional, is performing remarkably well. This study has reviewed each of the components of the revenue system to determine what improvements could be made in order to both enhance the economic characteristics of each of the taxes as well as to increase its revenue raising effectiveness. A major challenge facing the fiscal system of Belize in the future will be the necessity to reduce its reliance on the use of import tariffs to collect tax revenues. This will be forced on it through its membership in Caricom and its bilateral and multilateral negotiations of other free trade arrangements. The following is a summary of the principal recommendations of this review along with an estimate of the revenue impact of the proposed changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 21979.
Date of creation: Dec 2002
Date of revision:
Fiscal Policy; Trade Agreements; PUB; Fiscal Study;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glenn Jenkins & CHUN-YAN KUO, 2007. "Information, Corruption, and Measures for the Promotion of Manufactured Exports," Development Discussion Papers 2007-02, JDI Executive Programs.
- Glenn P. Jenkins & Chun-Yan Kuo, 2006.
"Fiscal Adjustment for Sustainable Growth in Belize,"
14818, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Glenn Jenkins & CHUN-YAN KUO, 2006. "Fiscal Adjustment For Sustainable Growth In Belize," Development Discussion Papers 2006-01, JDI Executive Programs.
- Glenn P. Jenkins & George G. Poufos, 2002. "Economic Integration and the Transformation of the Tax Mix: Cyprus 1990-2001," IDB Publications 4558, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Glenn Jenkins & George Poufos, 2002.
"Economic Integration And The Transformation Of The Tax Mix: Cyprus 1990-2001,"
Development Discussion Papers
2002-03, JDI Executive Programs.
- Glenn P. Jenkins & George G. Poufos, 2002. "Economic Integration and the Transformation of the Tax Mix: Cyprus 1990-2001," IDB Publications 8788, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.