Identity Preservation and False Labeling in the Food Supply Chain
AbstractIn this paper I address two issues pertaining to the market differentiation between non-genetically modified (non-GM) and genetically modified (GM) food varieties. First, I provide a cost-efficiency explanation of the discrepancy between the observed shares of identity preserved non-GM variety and the total supply of the variety. Second, I show that when products can be falsely labeled as non-GM, the share of false labeling depends on the level of identity preservation. In this context, I demonstrate that the share of falsely labeled supply can increase in response to harsher fines.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University in its series Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications with number 02-wp295.
Date of creation: Feb 2002
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Alexander E. Saak, 2002. "Identity Preservation and False Labeling in the Food Supply Chain," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 02-wp295, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Desquilbet, Marion & Bullock, David S., 2003. "Who Pays The Costs Of Non-Gmo Segregation And Identity Preservation, And Who Is To Blame?," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22011, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Antonio Seccia & Antonio Stasi & Luigi Roselli, 2006.
"Atteggiamento dei consumatori nei confronti dell'evoluzione del sistema agro-alimentare: l'introduzione di alimenti geneticamente modificati,"
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 10(1).
- Roselli, Luigi & Seccia, Antonio & Stasi, Antonio, 2006.
"Atteggiamento dei consumatori nei confronti dell’evoluzione del sistema agro-alimentare: L’introduzione di alimenti geneticamente modificati
[Consumers' attitude towards the new element of evol," MPRA Paper 11776, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roselli, Luigi & Seccia, Antonio & Stasi, Antonio, 2006. "Atteggiamento dei consumatori nei confronti dell’evoluzione del sistema agro-alimentare: L’introduzione di alimenti geneticamente modificati
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.