Impact of Self-Protection and Self-Insurance on Individual Response to Risk, The
AbstractWe develop four experimental markets to examine how individuals respond to risk: self-protection and self-insurance in both private and collective auctions. First, we find evidence that the mechanism used to reduce risk is important. Results indicate that the upper and lower bounds on value were elicited by the private self-protection and the collective self-insurance markets. Second, the robustness of these results declined with low probability lotteries. We find further evidence that individuals overestimate the impact of low probability events. Overestimation decreased, however, with repeated market exposure. Third, the four markets induced rapid value formation. Usually only one or two additional market trials were necessary before an individual's perception and valuation of reduced risk stabilized.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University in its series Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications with number 90-wp53.
Date of creation: Mar 1990
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Shogren, Jason F., 1990. "Impact of Self-Protection and Self-Insurance on Individual Response to Risk (The)," Staff General Research Papers 297, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Crocker, Thomas D., 1999. "Risk and Its Consequences," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 44-51, January.
- Jason Shogren & Thomas Crocker, 1991. "Cooperative and noncooperative protection against transferable and filterable externalities," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(2), pages 195-214, June.
- Andrea Morone & Ozlem Ozdemir, 2006. "Valuing Protection against Low Probability, High Loss Risks: Experimental Evidence," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2006-34, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Todd L. Cherry & Thomas Crocker & Jason F. Shogren, 2001.
01-02, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Andersson, Henrik & Lindberg, Gunnar, 2007.
"Benevolence and the value of road safety,"
2007:4, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI), revised 04 Jun 2008.
- Andersson, Henrik & Lindberg, Gunnar, 2009. "Benevolence and the value of road safety," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- List, John A. & Shogren, Jason F., 1998.
"Calibration of the difference between actual and hypothetical valuations in a field experiment,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 193-205, October.
- John List & Jason Shogren, 1998. "Calibration of the difference between actual and hypothetical valuations in a field experiment," Natural Field Experiments 00296, The Field Experiments Website.
- Aric Shafran, 2011. "Self-protection against repeated low probability risks," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 263-285, June.
- Shogren, Jason F., 2006. "Experimental Methods and Valuation," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 969-1027 Elsevier.
- Svensson, Mikael & Vredin Johansson, Maria, 2007. "Willingness to Pay for Private and Public Safety: Why the Difference?," Working Papers 2007:2, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Warziniack, Travis W. & Finnoff, David & Shogren, Jason F., 2013. "Public economics of hitchhiking species and tourism-based risk to ecosystem services," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 277-294.
- John Ashton & Robert S. Hudson, 2011. "Should the joint provision of credit insurance with unsecured lending be prohibited? An examination of the UK payment protection insurance market," Working Papers 11008, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.