Urban Demand for Dairy Products in China: Evidence from New Survey Data
AbstractIn this paper we use 2001-2002 urban survey data we collected to analyze demographics, cultural factors, and purchasing behaviors influencing the consumption of fresh milk, yogurt, ice cream, and powered milk in urban areas of China. The data include frequency of consumption by product, location of consumption and purchase, exposure to advertising and foreign culture, and school milk programs. The variables serve as regressors in a double-hurdle model that examines the decision to consume or not to consume and the level of consumption. We also estimate consumption levels and participation equations with tobit and probit models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University in its series Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications with number 04-wp380.
Date of creation: Nov 2004
Date of revision:
China; dairy products; demand analysis; limited dependent variable models; survey data.;
Other versions of this item:
- Frank H. Fuller & John C. Beghin & Scott Rozelle, 2004. "Urban Demand for Dairy Products in China: Evidence from New Survey Data," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 04-wp380, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dobson, William D., 2006. "Drivers of Change in China's Dairy Industry--Implications for the U.S. and World Dairy Industries," Discussion Papers 37488, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Babcock Institute for International Dairy Research and Development.
- Fuller, Frank H. & Huang, Jikun & Ma, Hengyun & Rozelle, Scott, 2005.
"Got Milk? The Rapid Rise of China's Dairy Sector and Its Future Prospects,"
Staff General Research Papers
12363, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fuller, Frank & Huang, Jikun & Ma, Hengyun & Rozelle, Scott, 2006. "Got milk? The rapid rise of China's dairy sector and its future prospects," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 201-215, June.
- Phil Briggs & Carly Harker & Tim Ng & Aidan Yao, 2011. "Fluctuations in the international prices of oil, dairy products, beef and lamb between 2000 and 2008: A review of market-specific demand and supply factors," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2011/02, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Bai, Junfei & Wahl, Thomas I. & McCluskey, Jill J., 2008. "Fluid milk consumption in urban Qingdao, China," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 52(2), June.
- Jin, Yanhong H. & Lin, Liguo & Yao, Lan, 2011. "Do Consumers Trust the National Inspection Exemption Brands? Evidence from Infant Formula in China," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103766, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Akinyosoye, Vincent O., 2007. "Demand For Dairy Products In Nigeria: Evidence From The Nigerian," Journal of Rural Economics and Development, University of Ibadan, Department of Agricultural Economics, vol. 16.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.