The Effect of Waiting Time and Distance on Hospital Choice for English Cataract Patients
AbstractThis paper applies latent-class and multinomial logit models to the choice of hospital for cataract operations in the UK NHS. We concentrate on the effects of travel time and waiting time and especially on the waiting time elasticity of demand. Models including hospital fixed effects rely on changes over time in waiting time to indentify coefficients. The results show how using latent-class multinomial logit models characterises the unobserved heterogeneity in GP practices' choice behaviour and affects the estimated waiting time elasticities of demand. The models estimate waiting time elasticities of demand of approximately -0.1, comparable with previous waiting time-demand models. For the average waiting time elasticity, the simple multinomial logit models are good approximations of the latent-class logit results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne in its series Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series with number wp2010n10.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/
More information through EDIRC
hospital choice; waiting time; latent class model;
Other versions of this item:
- Peter Sivey, 2012. "The effect of waiting time and distance on hospital choice for English cataract patients," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 444-456, 04.
- Peter Sivey, 2010. "The effect of waiting time and distance on hospital choice for English cataract patients," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 10/09, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2010-07-31 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-HEA-2010-07-31 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2007.
"Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2124, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brekke, Kurt Richard & Siciliani, Luigi & Straume, Odd Rune, 2007. "Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 6285, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2007. "Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets," NIPE Working Papers 9/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Sophia Rabe-Hesketh & Anders Skrondal & Andrew Pickles, 2002. "Reliable estimation of generalized linear mixed models using adaptive quadrature," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Sharma, Anurag & Siciliani, Luigi & Harris, Anthony, 2013.
"Waiting times and socioeconomic status: Does sample selection matter?,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 659-667.
- A. Sharma; & L. Siciliani; & A. Harris ;, 2011. "Waiting times and socioeconomic status: does sample selection matter?," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 11/22, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Rita Santos & Hugh Gravelle & Carol Propper, 2013. "Does quality affect patientsâ€™ choice of doctor? Evidence from the UK," Working Papers 088cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Siciliani, Luigi & Straume, Odd Rune, 2013.
"Hospital Mergers: A Spatial Competition Approach,"
Discussion Paper Series in Economics
8/2013, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jenny Chen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.