The Effect of Diversification on Firm Performance
AbstractThis paper analyses the association between diversification and firm performance in a sample of up to 1449 large Australian firms (1994 to 1997). Firm performance is measured by profitability and, for quoted firms, market value. Results from the full sample show that more focused firms have higher profitability. This result controls for firm specific effects and other determinants of profitability. However, this association is not found in sub-sample regressions for listed firms. This is true both when either profitability or market value are used as a performance measure. The results may indicate that listed firms may be under closer scrutiny and competitive pressures that ensure, on average, that these firms are at their optimal degree of diversification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne in its series Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series with number wp2001n02.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: May 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iain Cockburn & Zvi Griliches, 1987.
"Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Markets Valuation of R&D and Patents,"
NBER Working Papers
2465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cockburn, Iain & Griliches, Zvi, 1988. "Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Market's Valuation of R&D and Patents," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 419-23, May.
- Larry H.P. Lang & Rene M. Stulz, 1993.
"Tobin's Q, Corporate Diversification and Firm Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
4376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lang, Larry H P & Stulz, Rene M, 1994. "Tobin's q, Corporate Diversification, and Firm Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1248-80, December.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1999.
"Innovation and Market Value,"
NBER Working Papers
6984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall., 1999. "Innovation and Market Value," Economics Working Papers E99-265, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1999. "Innovation and Market Value," Finance 9902009, EconWPA.
- Hall, B.H., 1999. "Innovation and Market Value," Economics Papers 1999-w3, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Hall, Bronwyn H., 1999. "Innovation and Market Value," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt9f31v1rw, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bronwyn Hall, 1998. "Innovation and Market Value," Economics Series Working Papers 1999-W03, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Armen A. Alchian, 1950. "Uncertainty, Evolution, and Economic Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 211.
- Scott,John T., 2005. "Purposive Diversification and Economic Performance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521022583, April.
- Boozer, Michael A., 1997. "Econometric Analysis of Panel Data Badi H. Baltagi Wiley, 1995," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 747-754, October.
- Dess, G. & Gupta, A. & Hennart, J.-F. & Hill, C., 1995. "Conducting and integrating strategy research at the international, corporate, and business levels : issues and directions," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-174007, Tilburg University.
- Himmelberg, C.P. & Hubbard, R.G. & Palia, D., 1997.
"Understanding the Determinants of Mangerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance,"
97-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Himmelberg, Charles P. & Hubbard, R. Glenn & Palia, Darius, 1999. "Understanding the determinants of managerial ownership and the link between ownership and performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 353-384, September.
- Charles P. Himmelberg & R. Glenn Hubbard & Darius Palia, 2000. "Understanding the Determinants of Managerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance," NBER Working Papers 7209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McDonald, James Ted, 1999. "The Determinants of Firm Profitability in Australian Manufacturing," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(229), pages 115-26, June.
- Zvi Griliches, 1984.
"Market Value, R&D, and Patents,"
in: R & D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 249-252
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geroski, Paul A & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988. "The Persistence of Profits: A European Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 375-89, June.
- Michael Gort, 1962. "Diversification and Integration in American Industry," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gort62-1, octubre-d.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Goddard, J. A. & Wilson, J. O. S., 1999. "The persistence of profit: a new empirical interpretation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 663-687, July.
- Teece, David J., 1980. "Economies of scope and the scope of the enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 223-247, September.
- Christopher Kenneth Bart, 1998. "The Relationship Between Mission Statements and Firm Performance: An Exploratory Study," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(6), pages 823-853, November.
- Teece, David J., 1982. "Towards an economic theory of the multiproduct firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 39-63, March.
- Christian Espinosa & Carlos Maquieira, 2010. "Diversificación y Desempeño en Sud América: Evidencia para Chile," Working Papers 10, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (James Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.