Motive, Strukturen und Auswirkungen deutscher Direktinvestitionen in Tschechien : erste Untersuchungsergebnisse aus dem IAB-Projekt ReLOC - Research on Locational and Organisational Change
Abstract"The internationally coordinated IAB research project ReLOC - Research on Locational and Organisational Change - investigates the impact of direct investments of German firms in the Czech Republic on the labor markets in both countries. The analysis focuses on the effects of these cross-border business activities on employment, skill and wage structures in Germany and the Czech Republic. Investments in manufacturing and service activities abroad are a widespread phenomenon that is closely related to the process of economic integration of European markets. The theory of the multinational firm makes a classic distinction between two types of foreign direct investment. Vertical foreign direct investment is undertaken for the reason of cost savings, whereas horizontal foreign direct investment refers to investments that are performed in order to gain product market access. A central controversial topic concerns the impact of off shoring and the slicing up of the value-added chain of production and service activities on net employment in the country of origin and in the target country, particularly when countries with significant wage level differences are involved. Moreover, the activities of multinational firms are likely to influence the interregional allocation of productive resources and wealth. Concerning these research topics important gaps in both the theoretical and the empirical field exist that the ReLOC project aims to fill. In order to counter the lack of reliable information a central element of this project is a firm survey launched by the IAB both in Germany and in the Czech Republic. From September 2010 until May 2011 interviews were conducted in firms having cross-border linkages as well as in a comparison group of firms not investing abroad or without any foreign ownership respectively. Based on the survey new - internationally unique - linked employer-employee micro data sets are to be created that, by adding a time dimension, provide excellent conditions for profound empirical investigations. In this research report the first descriptive results of the survey are presented." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany] in its series IAB-Forschungsbericht with number 201301.
Length: 101 pages
Date of creation: 04 Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Auslandsinvestitionen - Determinanten; Auslandsinvestitionen - Auswirkungen; EU-Osterweiterung; Beschäftigungseffekte - internationaler Vergleich; Einkommenseffekte - internationaler Vergleich; Lohnstruktur; Qualifikationsstruktur; europäische Integration; multinationale Unternehmen; Absatzmarkt; Kostensenkung; Herkunftsland; Standortwahl; outsourcing; Ausland; Niedriglohnland; Außenhandelsentwicklung; Export; Import; Beschäftigtenzahl; Beschäftigtenstruktur; Umsatzentwicklung; Investitionsquote; Innovation; Organisationsänderung; Unternehmensorganisation; sektorale Verteilung; Wirtschaftszweige; Grenzgebiet; Tschechische Republik; Bundesrepublik Deutschland;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexandra Spitz-Oener, 2006. "Technical Change, Job Tasks, and Rising Educational Demands: Looking outside the Wage Structure," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 235-270, April.
- Christian Dustmann & Johannes Ludsteck & Uta Schönberg, 2009.
"Revisiting the German Wage Structure,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 124(2), pages 843-881, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra, .
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
Department of Economics
98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2006. "The rise of offshoring: it's not wine for cloth anymore," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 59-102.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2001.
"The Skill Content of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration,"
NBER Working Papers
8337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Autor & Frank Levy & Richard Murnane, 2003. "The skill content of recent technological change: an empirical exploration," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2003. "The Skill Content Of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1279-1333, November.
- Markusen, James R., 2002.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James R. Markusen, 2004. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078.
- David Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- Alan S. Blinder, 2007.
"How Many U.S. Jobs Might Be Offshorable?,"
60, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Ingo Geishecker & Holger Görg, 2008.
"Winners and losers: a micro-level analysis of international outsourcing and wages,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(1), pages 243-270, February.
- Geishecker, Ingo & Görg, Holger, 2007. "Winners and losers: A Micro-level Analysis of International Outsourcing and Wages," CEPR Discussion Papers 6484, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fazia Pusterla & Laura Resmini, 2005. "Where do foreign firms locate in transition Countries? An empirical investigation," ISLA Working Papers 20, ISLA, Centre for research on Latin American Studies and Transition Economies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Sep 2005.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joshua D. Gottlieb, 2009.
"The Wealth of Cities: Agglomeration Economies and Spatial Equilibrium in the United States,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 47(4), pages 983-1028, December.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joshua D. Gottlieb, 2009. "The Wealth of Cities: Agglomeration Economies and Spatial Equilibrium in the United States," NBER Working Papers 14806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pflüger, Michael P. & Blien, Uwe & Möller, Joachim & Moritz, Michael, 2010. "Labor Market Effects of Trade and FDI: Recent Advances and Research Gaps," IZA Discussion Papers 5385, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996.
"Trade policy and the Third World metropolis,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- Becker Sascha O & Muendler Marc-Andreas, 2008. "The Effect of FDI on Job Security," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-46, April.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marin, Dalia, 2004.
"A Nation of Poets and Thinkers - Less so with Eastern Enlargement? Austria and Germany,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4358, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marin, Dalia, 2004. "'A Nation of Poets and Thinkers' - Less So with Eastern Enlargement? Austria and Germany," Discussion Papers in Economics 329, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Paul Krugman, 1995. "Growing World Trade: Causes and Consequences," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 327-377.
- Bruckmeier, Kerstin & Pauser, Johannes & Walwei, Ulrich & Wiemers, Jürgen, 2013. "Simulationsrechnungen zum Ausmaß der Nicht-Inanspruchnahme von Leistungen der Grundsicherung : Studie im Auftrag des Bundesministeriums für Arbeit und Soziales zur Abgrenzung und Struktur von Refere," IAB-Forschungsbericht 201305, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.