Agglomeration and regional employment growth
Abstract"The advent of the New Economic Geography has spawned a renewed interest in questions of agglomeration. The work expands the research on the impact of agglomeration economies on employment growth by connecting two strands of the empirical literature. A localization index and a cluster index are calculated in order to measure the prevalence of agglomeration. Using these indices, industries and locations that exhibit geographical concentration are identified. The main part of the paper is an econometric analysis. In a dynamic panel data model, the two indices are explicitly used to measure additional dynamic employment growth in agglomerated plants. The study uses panel data that covers all western German employment subject to social security from 1989 to 2006 in 326 districts. I analyze which regional characteristics favor the growth of employment in 191 industries of the manufacturing and service sectors. There is evidence that industrial agglomerations exhibit stronger dynamic growth than other industry/region cells." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany] in its series IAB Discussion Paper with number 201007.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 16 Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as: "Agglomeration and regional employment dynamics", in: Papers in Regional Science, Vol. 92, No. 2 (2013), p. 419-435
regionaler Arbeitsmarkt; regionale Disparität; Ballungsraum; Beschäftigungsentwicklung; verarbeitendes Gewerbe; Dienstleistungsbereich; Clusteranalyse; Westdeutschland; Bundesrepublik Deutschland;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2010-03-28 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2010-03-28 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dirk Engel & Timo Mitze & Roberto Patuelli & Janina Reinkowski, 2012.
"Does Cluster Policy Trigger R&D Activity? – Evidence from German Biotech Contests,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0311, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Dirk Engel & Timo Mitze & Roberto Patuelli & Janina Reinkowski, 2013. "Does Cluster Policy Trigger R&D Activity? Evidence from German Biotech Contests," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(11), pages 1735-1759, November.
- D. Engel & T. Mitze & R. Patuelli & J. Reinkowski, 2011. "Does the Support of Innovative Clusters Sustainably Foster R&D Activity? Evidence from the German BioRegio and BioProfile Contests," Working Papers wp744, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Dirk Engel & Timo Mitze & Roberto Patuelli & Janina Reinkowski, 2011. "Does the support of innovative clusters sustainably foster R&D activity? Evidence from the German BioRegio and BioProfile contests," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 1105, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Dirk Engel & Timo Mitze & Roberto Patuelli & Janina Reinkowski, 2011. "Does Cluster Policy Trigger R&D Activity? Evidence from German Biotech Contests," Working Paper Series 15_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2012.
- Wielandt, Hanna & Senftleben, Charlotte, 2012. "The Polarization of Employment in German Local Labor Markets," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62063, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Dauth, Wolfgang, 2010. "The mysteries of the trade: employment effects of urban interindustry spillovers," IAB Discussion Paper 201015, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Oberst, Christian & Oelgemöller, Jens, 2013. "Economic Growth and Regional Labor Market Development in German Regions: Okun’s Law in a Spatial Context," FCN Working Papers 5/2013, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
- Charlotte Senftleben & Hanna Wielandt, 2012. "The Polarization of Employment in German Local Labor Markets," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-013, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Charlotte Senftleben-König, 2014. "Product Market Deregulation and Employment Outcomes: Evidence from the German Retail Sector," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2014-013, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Dauth, Wolfgang & Dorner, Matthias & Blien, Uwe, 2013. "Neukonzeption der Typisierung im SGB-II-Bereich : Vorgehensweise und Ergebnisse," IAB-Forschungsbericht 201311, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.