Wage distributions by wage-setting regime
Abstract"Collective wage contracts impose restrictions on wage-setting. We utilize German linked employer-employee data for blue-collar worker to compute the dispersion of wages and wage components within and across firms under three different wage-setting regimes: Establishments applying sectoral collective contracts, establishments with firm-level contracts and uncovered establishments. The empirical analysis confirms a lower dispersion of wages and wage components for firms applying sectoral collective contracts compared to companies in the other two wage-setting regimes. Implications for policy are discussed." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany] in its series IAB Discussion Paper with number 200509.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 11 Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as: Bargaining regimes and wage dispersion. In: Jahrbücher für Nationalökonomie und Statistik, Bd. 226, H. 6 (2006)
Lohnstruktur; Tarifvertrag; Firmentarifvertrag; Tarifbindung;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J51 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Trade Unions: Objectives, Structure, and Effects
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2002.
"Hiring Standards and Market Clearing,"
IZA Discussion Papers
481, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard B. Freeman, 1981.
"Union Wage Practices and Wage Dispersion within Establishments,"
NBER Working Papers
0752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1982. "Union wage practices and wage dispersion within establishments," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 36(1), pages 3-21, October.
- Franz, Wolfgang & Pfeiffer, Friedhelm, 2001. "Tarifbindung und die ökonomische Rationalität von Lohnrigiditäten," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-01, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Joop Hartog & Edwin Leuven & Coen N. Teulings, 2000.
"Wages and the Bargaining Regime in a Corporist Setting: The Netherlands,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-013/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hartog, Joop & Leuven, Edwin & Teulings, Coen, 2002. "Wages and the bargaining regime in a corporatist setting: the Netherlands," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 317-331, June.
- Hartog, Joop & Leuven, Edwin & Teulings, Coen N, 1997. "Wages and the Bargaining Regime in a Corporatist Setting: The Netherlands," CEPR Discussion Papers 1706, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Olaf H¸bler & Uwe Jirjahn, 2003.
"Works Councils and Collective Bargaining in Germany: The Impact on Productivity and Wages,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(4), pages 471-491, 09.
- Hübler, Olaf & Jirjahn, Uwe, 2001. "Works Councils and Collective Bargaining in Germany: The Impact on Productivity and Wages," IZA Discussion Papers 322, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gesine Stephan, 2002. "Employer Wage Differentials in Germany: A Comparative Note," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 16(3), pages 491-512, 09.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 2001. "Centralized bargaining and reorganized work: Are they compatible?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1851-1875, December.
- Lemieux, Thomas, 1998. "Estimating the Effects of Unions on Wage Inequality in a Panel Data Model with Comparative Advantage and Nonrandom Selection," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 261-91, April.
- Katz, Lawrence F. & Autor, David H., 1999. "Changes in the wage structure and earnings inequality," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1463-1555 Elsevier.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S., 1999. "LEEping into the future of labor economics: the research potential of linking employer and employee data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 25-41, March.
- Heywood, John S & Hubler, Olaf & Jirjahn, Uwe, 1998. "Variable Payment Schemes and Industrial Relations: Evidence from Germany," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 237-57.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2008. "Lohnspreizung und Effizienz," Discussion Papers in Economics 2117, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Du Caju, Philip & Fuss, Catherine & Wintr, Ladislav, 2009.
"Understanding sectoral differences in downward real wage rigidity: workforce composition, institutions, technology and competition,"
Working Paper Series
1006, European Central Bank.
- Philip Du Caju & Catherine Fuss & Ladislav Wintr, 2009. "Understanding sectoral differences in downward real wage rigidity : workforce composition, institutions, technology and competition," Working Paper Research 156, National Bank of Belgium.
- Wolf Dieter Heinbach, 2006.
"Bargained Wages in Decentralized Wage-Setting Regimes,"
IAW Discussion Papers
26, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Wolf Dieter Heinbach, 2006. "Bargained Wages in Decentralized Wage-Setting Regimes," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut fÃ¼r Volkswirtschaftslehre der UniversitÃ¤t Hohenheim 276/2005, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Eichhorst, Werner & Kaiser, Lutz C., 2006. "The German Labor Market: Still Adjusting Badly?," IZA Discussion Papers 2215, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gerlach, Knut & Stephan, Gesine, 2005. "Tarifverträge und betriebliche Entlohnungsstrukturen," IAB Discussion Paper 200520, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- McGuinness, Seamus & Kelly, Elish & O'Connell, Philip J., 2008. "The Impact of Wage Bargaining Regime on Firm-Level Competitiveness and Wage Inequality: The Case of Ireland," Papers WP266, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Amend, Elke & Herbst, Patrick, 2008. "Labor market pooling and human capital investment decisions," IAB Discussion Paper 200804, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.