Political Economy of Privatisation in Estonia
AbstractThis paper surveys the pre-conditions for privatisation in Estonia and the respective concepts of different governments. The paper will also identify the most important features of different legislation which have determined the path of privatisation in Estonia. The methods and results of small-scale privatisation, large-scale privatisation, restitution and land reform are also discussed. A special section is dedicated to the analysis of the Estonian voucher scheme and the privatisation of dwellings. It is argued, that although a very complicated privatisation scheme has been created, the process has continued in Estonia during the period 1990-1995 without major setbacks. The private sector has achieved a dominant role in the economy, due in part to privatisation and the emergence of a set of new private firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University in its series CERT Discussion Papers with number 9602.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1998-10-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-1998-10-19 (European Economics)
- NEP-POL-1998-10-19 (Positive Political Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- J.R. Davis, 1996. "The Political Economy and Institutional Aspects of the Process of Privatizing Farming," CERT Discussion Papers 9607, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- J.R. Davis, 1997. "Understanding the Process of Decollectivization and Agricultural Privatisation in Transition Economies: The Distribution of Collective and State Farm Assets in Latvia and Lithuania," CERT Discussion Papers 9709, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Mygind, Niels, 1998. "The Internationalization of the Baltic Economies," UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, Working Paper Series qt9dm7j6r9, UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Mark Schaffer) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Professor Mark Schaffer to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.