De copulis non est disputandum - Copulae: An Overview
AbstractNormal distribution of the residuals is the traditional assumption in the classical multivariate time series models. Nevertheless it is not very often consistent with the real data. Copulae allows for an extension of the classical time series models to nonelliptically distributed residuals. In this paper we apply different copulae to the calculation of the static and dynamic Value-at-Risk of portfolio returns and Profit-and-Loss function. In our findings copula based multivariate model provide better results than those based on the normal distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2009-031.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
copula; multivariate distribution; value-at-risk; multivariate dependence;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-06-17 (Econometrics)
- NEP-RMG-2009-06-17 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michal Grajek & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2009.
"Regulation and investment in network industries: Evidence from European telecoms,"
ESMT Research Working Papers
ESMT-09-004, ESMT European School of Management and Technology.
- Michał Grajek & Lars-Hendrik R�ller, 2012. "Regulation and Investment in Network Industries: Evidence from European Telecoms," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(1), pages 189 - 216.
- Michał Grajek & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2009. "Regulation and Investment in Network Industries: Evidence from European Telecoms," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-039, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Roland Strausz, 2010.
"The Political Economy of Regulatory Risk,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2953, CESifo Group Munich.
- Thorsten Dickhaus & Jakob Gierl, 2012. "Simultaneous test procedures in terms of p-value copulae," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-049, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Maria Grith & Wolfgang Härdle & Juhyun Park, 2009. "Shape invariant modelling pricing kernels and risk aversion," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-041, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Barbara Choroś & Wolfgang Härdle & Ostap Okhrin, 2009. "CDO and HAC," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-038, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Fabrizio Durante & Roberto Ghiselli-Ricci, 2012. "Supermigrative copulas and positive dependence," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 96(3), pages 327-342, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.