Independent Component Analysis Via Copula Techniques
AbstractIndependent component analysis (ICA) is a modern factor analysis tool de- veloped in the last two decades. Given p-dimensional data, we search for that linear combination of data which creates (almost) independent components. Here copulae are used to model the p-dimensional data and then independent components are found by optimizing the copula parameters. Based on this idea, we propose the COPICA method for searching independent components. We illustrate this method using several blind source separation examples, which are mathematically equivalent to ICA problems. Finally performances of our method and FastICA are compared to explore the advantages of this method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2008-004.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Blind source separation; Canonical maximum likelihood method; Givens rotation matrix; Signal/noise ratio; Simulated annealing algorithm;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2008-01-12 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ECM-2008-01-12 (Econometrics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kumiega, Andrew & Neururer, Thaddeus & Van Vliet, Ben, 2011. "Independent component analysis for realized volatility: Analysis of the stock market crash of 2008," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 292-302, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.