Random Sums of Random Variables and Vectors
AbstractLet fX;Xi; i = 1; 2; :::g denote independent positive random variables having a common distribution function F(x) and, independent of X, let N denote an integer valued random variable. Using S(0) = 0 and S(n) = S(n ?? 1) + Xn, the random sum S(N) has distribution function G(x) = 1Xi=0 P(N = i)P(S(i) _ x) and tail distribution G(x) = 1 ?? G(x). In which case, we say that the distribution function G is subordinated to F with subordinator N. Under suitable conditions, it can be proved that G(x) s E(N)F(x) as x ! 1. In this paper, we extend some of the existing results. In the place of i.i.d. random variables, we use variables that are independent or variables that are asymptotically in- dependent. We also consider multivariate subordinated distribution functions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management in its series Working Papers with number 2009/09.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 15 May 2009
Date of revision:
Subexponential distributions; regular variation; O-regular variation; subordination;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ali, Mir M. & Mikhail, N. N. & Haq, M. Safiul, 1978. "A class of bivariate distributions including the bivariate logistic," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 405-412, September.
- de Haan, L. & Omey, E. & Resnick, S., 1984. "Domains of attraction and regular variation in IRd," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 17-33, February.
- Cline, Daren B. H. & Resnick, Sidney I., 1992. "Multivariate subexponential distributions," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 49-72, August.
- Embrechts, Paul & Goldie, Charles M., 1982. "On convolution tails," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 263-278, September.
- Omey, E. & Willekens, E., 1986. "Second order behaviour of the tail of a subordinated probability distribution," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 339-353, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Janssens).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.