Chinese Manufacturing Performance from Multilateral Perspective: 1980-2004
AbstractBased on our research work of 1998, we discuss Chinese manufacturing performance from multilateral perspective in 1980-2004 through performing the comparison of labour productivity between China and its trade partners so as to better understand the problems of RMB exchange rate. We talk about Chinese manufacturing competitiveness through the multilateral comparison of PPPs, relative price levels, labor productivity and ULCs, with the PPPs being standardized according to the base year 1997. All of the results are compared with those in the year 1987. The following findings are presented: in Chinese manufacturing, the various PPPs in the base year 1997 are approximately 3.7 yuan/international $. After the middle 1980s, the relative price turns the lowest in all the five investigation countries. Furthermore, it is still trending downward. ULC is declining albeit the fluctuations. In the 1980s, there is no "catch-up" rapid growth in labor productivity. However, after 1992, it has shown a distinct "catch-up", though with the low level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number d06-170.
Date of creation: Jun 2006
Date of revision:
Multilateral comparison; Manufacturing; International competitiveness;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2006-07-15 (Development)
- NEP-EFF-2006-07-15 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INT-2006-07-15 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2006-07-15 (South East Asia)
- NEP-TRA-2006-07-15 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bai, M. & Ruoen, R. & Szirmai, A., 2001.
"Labour Productivity Trends in Chinese Manufacturing, 1980-1999,"
Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series
01.10, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Bai, M. & Ruoen, R. & Szirmai, A., 2001. "Labour Productivity Trends in Chinese Manufacturing, 1980-1999," Working Papers 01.10, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Stuivenwold, Edwin & Timmer, Marcel P., 2003. "Manufacturing Performance in Indonesia, South Korea and Taiwan before and after the Crisis. An international Perspective, 1980-2000," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-63, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.