Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of the Number of Components in Multivariate Mixtures
AbstractThis article analyzes the identifiability of the number of components in k-variate, M-component finite mixture models in which each component distribution has independent marginals, including models in latent class analysis. Without making parametric assumptions on the component distributions, we investigate how one can identify the number of components from the distribution function of the observed data. When k>= 2, a lower bound on the number of components (M) is nonparametrically identifiable from the rank of a matrix constructed from the distribution function of the observed variables. Building on this identification condition, we develop a procedure to consistently estimate a lower bound on the number of components.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number gd12-247.
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
finite mixture; latent class analysis; nonnegative rank; rank estimation;
Other versions of this item:
- Hiroyuki Kasahara & Katsumi Shimotsu, 2012. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of the Number of Components in Multivariate Mixtures," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-866, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Levine & D. R. Hunter & D. Chauveau, 2011. "Maximum smoothed likelihood for multivariate mixtures," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 98(2), pages 403-416.
- Hiroyuki Kasahara & Katsumi Shimotsu, 2009. "Nonparametric Identification of Finite Mixture Models of Dynamic Discrete Choices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(1), pages 135-175, 01.
- I. R. Cruz-Medina & T. P. Hettmansperger & H. Thomas, 2004. "Semiparametric mixture models and repeated measures: the multinomial cut point model," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 53(3), pages 463-474.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1987.
"Asymptotic Results for Generalized Wald Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 348-358, June.
- Robert Mislevy, 1984. "Estimating latent distributions," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 49(3), pages 359-381, September.
- Peter Hall & Amnon Neeman & Reza Pakyari & Ryan Elmore, 2005. "Nonparametric inference in multivariate mixtures," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(3), pages 667-678, September.
- Dunson, David B. & Xing, Chuanhua, 2009. "Nonparametric Bayes Modeling of Multivariate Categorical Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(487), pages 1042-1051.
- Kleibergen, F.R. & Paap, R., 2003.
"Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2003-01, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Kleibergen, Frank & Paap, Richard, 2006. "Generalized reduced rank tests using the singular value decomposition," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 97-126, July.
- Richard Paap & Frank Kleibergen, 2004. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 195, Econometric Society.
- Frank Kleibergen & Richard Paap, 2003. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-003/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Woo, Mi-Ja & Sriram, T.N., 2006. "Robust Estimation of Mixture Complexity," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1475-1486, December.
- T. P. Hettmansperger & Hoben Thomas, 2000. "Almost nonparametric inference for repeated measures in mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 811-825.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.