Contributing or Free-Riding? Voluntary Participation in a Public Good Economy
AbstractWe consider a (pure) public goods provision problem with voluntary participation in a quasi-linear economy. We propose a new hybrid solution concept, the free-riding-proof core (FRP-Core), which endogenously determines a contribution group, public good provision level, and its cost-sharing. The FRP-Core is always nonempty in public good economies but does not usually achieve global efficiency. The FRP-Core has support from both cooperative and noncooperative games. In particular, it is equivalent to the set of perfectly coalition-proof Nash equilibrium (Bernheim, Peleg, and Whinston, 1987) of a dynamic game with players' participation decisions followed by a common agency game of public goods provision. We illustrate various properties of the FRPCore with an example. We also show that the equilibrium level of public good shrinks to zero as the economy is replicated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number gd09-128.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
endogenous coalition formation; externalities; public good; perfectly coalition-proof Nash equilibrium; free-riders; free-riding-proof core; lobbying; common agency game;
Other versions of this item:
- Konishi, Hideo & Furusawa, Taiji, 2011. "Contributing or free-riding? Voluntary participation in a public good economy," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 6(2), May.
- Taiji Furusawa & Hideo Konishi, 2008. "Contributing or Free-Riding? Voluntary Participation in a Public Good Economy," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 681, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Aug 2010.
- FURUSAWA Taiji & KONISHI Hideo, 2011. "Contributing or Free-Riding? Voluntary Participation in a Public Good Economy," Discussion papers 11028, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2010-04-17 (Game Theory)
- NEP-PBE-2010-04-17 (Public Economics)
- NEP-POL-2010-04-17 (Positive Political Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2010-04-17 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milleron, Jean-Claude, 1972. "Theory of value with public goods: A survey article," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 419-477, December.
- Hurwicz, L, 1979. "Outcome Functions Yielding Walrasian and Lindahl Allocations at Nash Equilibrium Points," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 217-25, April.
- Debraj Ray & Rajiv Vohra, 2001. "Coalitional Power and Public Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(6), pages 1355-1384, December.
- LAUSSEL, Didier & LE BRETON, Michel, .
"Conflict and cooperation. The structure of equilibrium payoffs in common agency,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1519, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Laussel, Didier & Le Breton, Michel, 2001. "Conflict and Cooperation: The Structure of Equilibrium Payoffs in Common Agency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 93-128, September.
- Laussel, Didier & Le Breton, Michel, 1998. "Efficient Private Production of Public Goods under Common Agency," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 194-218, November.
- Bombardini, Matilde, 2008. "Firm heterogeneity and lobby participation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 329-348, July.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Paul Healy, 2005.
"Equilibrium Participation in Public Goods Allocations,"
GSIA Working Papers
2006-E7, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Paul Healy, 2010. "Equilibrium participation in public goods allocations," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 27-50, March.
- Maruta, Toshimasa & Okada, Akira, 2005. "Group Formation and Heterogeneity in Collective Action Games," Discussion Papers 2005-07, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Bernheim, B. Douglas & Peleg, Bezalel & Whinston, Michael D., 1987. "Coalition-Proof Nash Equilibria I. Concepts," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-12, June.
- Conley John P., 1994. "Convergence Theorems on the Core of a Public Goods Economy: Sufficient Conditions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 161-185, February.
- Saijo, Tatsuyoshi & Yamato, Takehiko, 1999. "A Voluntary Participation Game with a Non-excludable Public Good," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 227-242, February.
- Konishi, Hideo & Le Breton, Michel & Weber, Shlomo, 1999. "On Coalition-Proof Nash Equilibria in Common Agency Games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 122-139, March.
- Groves, Theodore & Ledyard, John O, 1977.
"Optimal Allocation of Public Goods: A Solution to the "Free Rider" Problem,"
Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 783-809, May.
- Theodore Groves & John Ledyard, 1976. "Optimal Allocation of Public Goods: A Solution to the 'Free Rider Problem'," Discussion Papers 144, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Palfrey, Thomas R. & Rosenthal, Howard, 1984. "Participation and the provision of discrete public goods: a strategic analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-193, July.
- Ray, Debraj, 2007. "A Game-Theoretic Perspective on Coalition Formation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199207954, Octomber.
- Devashish Mitra, 1999. "Endogenous Lobby Formation and Endogenous Protection: A Long-Run Model of Trade Policy Determination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1116-1134, December.
- Walker, Mark, 1981. "A Simple Incentive Compatible Scheme for Attaining Lindahl Allocations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(1), pages 65-71, January.
- Le Breton, Michel & Salanie, Francois, 2003. "Lobbying under political uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 2589-2610, December.
- Zudenkova, Galina, 2010.
"Sincere Lobby Formation,"
28249, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zudenkova, Galina, 2012. "Lobbying as a Guard against Extremism," Working Papers 2072/184036, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Federico Quartieri, 2013. "Coalition-proofness under weak and strong Pareto dominance," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 553-579, February.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Ryusuke Shinohara, 2012. "Private Provision of Public Goods that are Complements for Private Goods: Application to Open Source Software Developments," ISER Discussion Paper 0830, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- FURUSAWA Taiji & KONISHI Hideo, 2011. "Free-Riding-Proof International Environmental Agreements," Discussion papers 11043, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Ryusuke Shinohara, 2010. "Coalition-proof equilibria in a voluntary participation game," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 603-615, October.
- Hideo Konishi & Ryusuke Shinohara, 2011. "Voluntary Participation and the Provision of Public Goods in Large Finite Economies," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 776, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Yukihiro Nishimura & Ryusuke Shinohara, 2013. "A voluntary participation game through a unit-by-unit cost share mechanism of a non-excludable public good," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 793-814, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.