Intermediation and Economic Integration
AbstractThe theory of international trade has paid scant attention to market institutions. Neither neoclassical theory nor new trade models typically specify the process by which supply and demand meet. Yet in the real world, intermediaries play a central role in materializing the gains from exchange outlined by standard trade theories. In AntrÃ s and Costinot (2010), we have developed a stylized but explicit model of intermediation in trade. In this short paper, we present a variant of this model that illustrates the potential role of intermediaries in facilitating the realization of the gains from trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard University Department of Economics in its series Scholarly Articles with number 4784026.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The American Economic Review
Other versions of this item:
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antràs, Pol & Costinot, Arnaud, 2010.
CEPR Discussion Papers
7696, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill, 2004.
"Selling at the Farm-Gate or Travelling to Market,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2004-30, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Pol Antràs & Arnaud Costinot, 2011.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 126(3), pages 1319-1374.
- Pol Antràs & Arnaud Costinot, 2010. "Intermediated Trade," NBER Working Papers 15750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antras, Pol & Costinot, Arnaud, 2011. "Intermediated Trade," Scholarly Articles 4784024, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Antràs, Pol & Costinot, Arnaud, 2010. "Intermediated Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 7696, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gabriel J Felbermayr & Benjamin Jung, 2009.
"Trade Intermediation and the Organization of Exporters,"
Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut fÃ¼r Volkswirtschaftslehre der UniversitÃ¤t Hohenheim
309/2009, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Gabriel Felbermayr & Benjamin Jung, 2011. "Trade Intermediation and the Organization of Exporters," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 634-648, 09.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel J. & Jung, Benjamin, 2011. "Trade intermediation and the organization of exporters," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 331, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- William W. Olney, 2013. "Impact of Corruption on Firm Level Export Decisions," Department of Economics Working Papers 2013-04, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Cheptea, Angela & Emlinger, Charlotte & Latouche, Karine, 2012.
"Multinational Retailers and Home Country Exports,"
2012: New Rules of Trade?, December 2012, San Diego, California
142777, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Angela Cheptea & Charlotte Emlinger & Karine Latouche, 2013. "Multinational Retailers and Home Country Exports," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 13-03, INRA UMR SMART.
- Angela Cheptea & Charlotte Emlinger & Karine Latouche, 2012. "Multinational Retailers and Home Country Exports," Working Papers 2012-34, CEPII research center.
- Jennifer Abel-Koch, 2011. "Firm Size and the Choice of Export Mode," Working Papers 1105, Gutenberg School of Management and Economics, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, revised 29 Mar 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reinhard Engels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.