Unemployment Insurance, Unemployment Durations and Re-employment Wages
AbstractWe develop an empirical model to estimate the impact of UI on unemployment duration and reemployment wages. The model estimates the UI receipt, unemployment duration and re-employment wage equations simultaneously and incorporates unobserved heterogeneity variables in each equation and allows them to be correlated. The NLSY79 data is used to estimate the model. Some results are found support of the positive effect of UI on re-employment wages.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus) in its series Working Papers with number 0306.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3-300 Carlson School of Management, 321 19th Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55455-0438
Phone: (612) 624-2500
Fax: (612) 624-8360
Web page: http://www.chrls.csom.umn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- McCall, Brian & Chi, Wei, 2008. "Unemployment insurance, unemployment durations and re-employment wages," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 115-118, April.
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2007-01-02 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2007-01-02 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce K. Fallick, 1989.
"Unemployment Insurance and the Rate of Re-Employment of Displaced Workers,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
550, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Fallick, Bruce Chelimsky, 1991. "Unemployment Insurance and the Rate of Re-employment of Displaced Workers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 228-35, May.
- Bruce D. Meyer, 1988.
"Unemployment Insurance And Unemployment Spells,"
NBER Working Papers
2546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John C. Ham & Samuel Rea, 1986.
"Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada,"
592, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Ham, John C & Rea, Samuel A, Jr, 1987. "Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(3), pages 325-53, July.
- David Card & Phillip B. Levine, 1998.
"Extended Benefits and the Duration of UI Spells: Evidence from the New Jersey Extended Benefit Program,"
NBER Working Papers
6714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David & Levine, Phillip B., 2000. "Extended benefits and the duration of UI spells: evidence from the New Jersey extended benefit program," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1-2), pages 107-138, October.
- Devine, Theresa J. & Kiefer, Nicolas M., 1991. "Empirical Labor Economics: The Search Approach," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195059366, October.
- Addison, John T. & Blackburn, McKinley L., 2000. "The effects of unemployment insurance on postunemployment earnings," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 21-53, January.
- Bart Cockx & Matteo Picchio, 2013.
"Scarring effects of remaining unemployed for long-term unemployed school-leavers,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 176(4), pages 951-980, October.
- Cockx, Bart & Picchio, Matteo, 2011. "Scarring Effects of Remaining Unemployed for Long-Term Unemployed School-Leavers," IZA Discussion Papers 5937, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- B. Cockx & M. Picchio, 2011. "Scarring Effects of Remaining Unemployed for Long-Term Unemployed School-Leavers," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/731, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Bart Cockx & Matteo Picchio, 2011. "Scarring Effects of Remaining Unemployed for Long-Term Unemployed School-Leavers," CESifo Working Paper Series 3565, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cockx, B. & Picchio, M., 2011. "Scarring Effects of Remaining Unemployed for Long-Term Unemployed School-Leavers," Discussion Paper 2011-094, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bart COCKX & Matteo PICCHIO, 2011. "Scarring Effects of Remaining Unemployed for Long-Term Unemployed School-Leavers," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011032, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Wolfgang Nagl & Stefan Arent, 2012. "Unemployment Benefits and Wages: Evidence from the German Hartz-Reform," ERSA conference papers ersa12p78, European Regional Science Association.
- Gaure, Simen & Røed, Knut & Westlie, Lars, 2012. "Job search incentives and job match quality," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 438-450.
- Stefan Arent & Wolfgang Nagl, 2011. "Löhne und Arbeitslosengeld: Wie haben sich die HARTZ-Reformen auf die Lohnentwicklung ausgewirkt?," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 18(03), pages 03-07, 06.
- Wolfgang Nagl, 2014. "Lohnrisiko und Altersarmut im Sozialstaat," ifo Beiträge zur Wirtschaftsforschung, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 54, 8.
- Jahn, Elke J. & Rosholm, Michael, 2014. "Looking beyond the bridge: The effect of temporary agency employment on labor market outcomes," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 108-125.
- Stefan Arent & Wolfgang Nagl, 2011. "Unemployment Benefit and Wages: The Impact of the Labor Market Reform in Germany on (Reservation) Wages," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 101, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Simoes, Nadia, 2013.
"Subsídio de desemprego: uma revisão da literatura teórica e empírica
[Unemployment insurance: a survey]," MPRA Paper 52332, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mary Helen Walker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.