The Evolution Of Income Inequality In The European Union
Abstract. The objective of this work is to analyse the income inequality in the 15 EU countries during the convergence process to the Monetary Union. Using the information contained in the European Community Household Panel, corresponding to the four first waves. Using the inverse second order stochastic dominance concept, we have carried out an ordering of these countries. Furthermore, this ranking allows us to determine if the differences among EU country members have increased or decreased during this particular period, that is, if there was a real convergence in income equality. In addition, we have also studied whether the inequality of income has diminished within and between countries over time. Gini's generalised family indices proposed by Donaldson and Weymark (1980 and 1983) and Yitzhaki (1983) have been used. This allows us to test the sensitivity of the results obtained to different degrees of inequality aversion and to different equivalence scales, taking into account household sizes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Estudios Fiscales in its series Working Papers with number 10-02 Classification-JEL : D31, D63, F02, O52.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Inequality; European Union; income distribution; stochastic dominance.;
Other versions of this item:
- Santiago Alvarez-Garcia & Juan Prieto-Rodriguez & Rafael Salas, 2003. "The evolution of income inequality in the European Union," Public Economics 0309003, EconWPA.
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis Ayala & Rosa Martínez & Jesús Ruiz Huerta, 2003. "Equivalence scales in tax and transfer policies," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 27(3), pages 593-614, September.
- Juan Prieto Rodríguez & Víctor Fernández Blanco, .
"Optimal Pricing And Grant Policies For Museums,"
3-02 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Juan Prieto-Rodríguez & Rafael Salas & Santiago Álvarez-García, . "Movilidad Social Y Desigualdad Económica," Working Papers 7-02 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Jorge Onrubia & Rafael Salas & José Sanz, 2005. "Redistribution and labour supply," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 109-124, August.
- Lluis Bru & Susana Cabrera & C. Mónica Capra & Rosario Gómez, . "Experimentos Secuenciales En La Gestión De Los Recursos Comunes," Working Papers 5-02 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Juan Gabriel Rodríguez & Rafael Salas, 2004. "A Bistochastic Nonparametric Estimator," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/22, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Tom Van Ourti & Eddy Van Doorslaer & Xander Koolman, 2006. "The Effect of Growth and Inequality in Incomes on Health Inequality: Theory and Empirical Evidence from the European Panel," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-108/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Marta Pascual & David Cantarero & Jose Maria Sarabia, 2004. "Trends in income inequality in the European Union: implications for health inequalities," ERSA conference papers ersa04p304, European Regional Science Association.
- José Javier Núñez-Velázquez & Juana Domínguez-Domínguez, 2007. "A Proposal of a Synthetic Indicator to Measure Poverty Intensity, With an Application to EU-15 Countries," Working Papers 81, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Carlos Mulas-Granados, 2005. "Fiscal Adjustments and the Short-Term Trade-Off between economic growth and equality," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 172(1), pages 61-92, June.
- Van Ourti, Tom & van Doorslaer, Eddy & Koolman, Xander, 2009. "The effect of income growth and inequality on health inequality: Theory and empirical evidence from the European Panel," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 525-539, May.
- José María Sarabia & Marta Pascual & David Cantarero, 2003. "Income Inequality Rankings for Different Equivalence Scales and Population Health," ERSA conference papers ersa03p160, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Cantó Sánchez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Olga Cantó Sánchez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.