Uncertainty And The Choice Of Trade Policy In Oligopolistic Industries
AbstractThis paper investigates the design of trade policies in an uncertain world. Governments in two countries select between direct quantity controls and subsidies in an attempt to shift profits in favor of domestic, imperfectly competitive firms. The equilibrium of this policy game depends on the variability of the environment. In a world of certainty, both governments choose to regulate their firms through direct quantity controls. With a sufficient amount of uncertainty, both governments regulate their firms through subsidies. This result reflects an important tradeoff between the strategic advantages of direct quantity controls and flexibility gained by the use of subsidies. Copyright 1989 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hoover Institution, Stanford University in its series Working Papers with number e-88-16.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 1988
Date of revision:
quota system ; oligopolies ; subsidies ; uncertainty;
Other versions of this item:
- Cooper, Russell & Riezman, Raymond, 1989. "Uncertainty and the Choice of Trade Policy in Oligopolistic Industrie s," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 129-40, January.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hernán, Roberto & Kujal, Praveen, .
"Minimum quality levels and import tariffs,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/299, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Kit Wong & Kong Chow, 1997. "Endogenous Sequencing in Strategic Trade Policy Games Under Uncertainty," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 353-369, October.
- Hung-Yi Chen & Hong Hwang, 2006. "Tariffs versus Quotas under Market Price Uncertainty," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 181-194, April.
- Roberto Hernán & Praveen Kujal, 2004.
"Market Access And Minimum Quality Standards,"
Economics Working Papers
we042608, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Hernán, Roberto & Kujal, Praveen, . "Market access and minimum quality standards," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/317, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Murat Usman, 2003.
"Incompletely Informed Policymakers and Trade Policy in Oligopolistic Industries,"
2003_06, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Murat Usman, 2004. "Incompletely informed policymakers and trade policy in oligopolistic industries," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(3), pages 283-297, 06.
- Dewit, Gerda & Leahy, Dermot, 2001.
"Rivalry in Uncertain Export Markets: Commitment versus Flexibility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dewit, Gerda & Leahy, Dermot, 2004. "Rivalry in uncertain export markets: commitment versus flexibility," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 195-209, October.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar & Yi Wen, 2011.
"OPEC´s Oil Exporting Strategy and Macroeconomic (In)Stability,"
NIPE Working Papers
10/2011, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luís & Wen, Yi, 2012. "OPEC's oil exporting strategy and macroeconomic (in)stability," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 132-136.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2011. "OPEC’s oil exporting strategy and macroeconomic (in)stability," Working Papers 2011-013, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Vargas Andrés José, 2001. "Strategic Interaction of International Markets: An Application to the Dairy Market," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Gerda Dewit & Dermot Leahy, 2001. "Rivalry In Uncertain Export Markets: Commitment Versus Flexibility," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1050201, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Matloob Piracha, 2004. "Export Subsidies and Countervailing Duties Under Asymmetric Information," Studies in Economics 0410, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Garcia Pires, Armando José, 2006. "Losers, Winners and Prisoner's Dilemma in International Subsidy Wars," CEPR Discussion Papers 5979, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- José J. Sempere Monerris & Rafael Moner Colonques & Amparo Urbano Salvador, 1999. "Strategic policy and international economic integration," Working Papers. Serie AD 1999-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.