Will TARGET2-Balances be Reduced again after an End of the Crisis?
AbstractThis article deals with the macro-economics of the Trans-European Automated Re- al-time Gross Settlement Express Transfer System (TARGET2). Originally, the TARGET2 was in-tended to solely function as a monetary arrangement for liquidity issues. It is shown that the TARGET2 contributes to a substantial misallocation of real resources within the Eurozone (EZ). The discussion highlights that there are no tendencies for rebalancing TARGET2-claims and liabilities, but rather a dynamic towards infinite and prolonged TARGET2-imbalances in the form of hysteresis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena in its series Global Financial Markets Working Paper Series with number 30-2012.
Date of creation: 28 May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.gfinm.de
TARGET2; Eurosystem; ESCB; balance-of-payments;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E02 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Institutions and the Macroeconomy
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2012-12-06 (European Economics)
- NEP-MON-2012-12-06 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Fahrholz & Andreas Freytag, 2011. "Whither the TARGET2 System? Taking a Glance at the Real Economic Facets of the Euro-Area Debt Crisis," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 57(1), pages 15-25.
- Abad, José M & Loeffler, Axel & Zemanek, Holger, 2011.
"TARGET2 Unlimited: Monetary Policy Implications of Asymmetric Liquidity Management within the Euro Area,"
31937, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abad, José M. & Löffler, Axel & Zemanek, Holger, 2011. "TARGET2 Unlimited: Monetary Policy Implications of Asymmetric Liquidity Management within the Euro Area," CEPS Papers 5904, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershaeuser, 2011.
"Target Loans, Current Account Balances and Capital Flows: The ECB’s Rescue Facility,"
NBER Working Papers
17626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2012. "Target loans, current account balances and capital flows: the ECB’s rescue facility," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 468-508, August.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2011. "Target Loans, Current Account Balances and Capital Flows: The ECB’s Rescue Facility," CESifo Working Paper Series 3500, CESifo Group Munich.
- Korinek, Anton, 2011. "Systemic risk-taking: amplification effects, externalities, and regulatory responses," Working Paper Series 1345, European Central Bank.
- Guido Lorenzoni, 2007.
"Inefficient Credit Booms,"
NBER Working Papers
13639, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fahrholz, Christian & Wójcik, Cezary, 2013.
"The Eurozone needs exit rules,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4665-4674.
- Jens Ulbrich & Alexander Lipponer, 2012. "Balances in the Target2 Payments System – A Problem?," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 13(SPECIALIS), pages 73-76, 02.
- Dominique Jacob, 2013. "Quels sont les enseignements de l'histoire du fédéralisme américain pour la zone euro actuelle ?," Working Papers hal-00863029, HAL.
- Sergio Cesaratto, 2013.
"The implications of TARGET2 in the European balance of payment crisis and beyond,"
Department of Economics University of Siena
681, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Sergio Cesaratto, 2013. "The implications of TARGET2 in the European balance of payments crisis and beyond," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar, vol. 10(3), pages 359Ã¢â¬â.
- Stephen Cecchetti & Robert McCauley & Patrick McGuire, 2012. "Interpreting TARGET2 balances," BIS Working Papers 393, Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Fahrholz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.