Market Expectation of Appreciation of the Renminbi
AbstractThis paper proposes a path-dependent approach for estimating maximum appreciations of the renminbi expected by the market based on first-passage-time distributions. Using market data of the renminbi spot exchange rates, non-deliverable forward rates and currency option prices from 21 July 2005 (the reform of the exchange rate regime) to 28 February 2008 for model parameters, the maximum appreciations of the renminbi estimated under the proposed approach show that the market expected another large movement of the exchange rate during the 14 months after the reform. Subsequently, the few occasions of appreciations beyond the expected maximums coincided with trade-related issues and speculation that greater momentum of appreciation would be allowed by the authorities. The PBoC¡¦s measures were however largely incorporated into the derivatives¡¦ prices. The proposed approach can be used to gauge the range of appreciations of the renminbi anticipated in the market and to identify any exchange rate movements beyond market expectations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hong Kong Monetary Authority in its series Working Papers with number 0803.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 55th Floor, Two International Finance Centre, 8 Finance Street, Central
Web page: http://www.info.gov.hk/hkma/
More information through EDIRC
renminbi exchange rate; first-passage-time distributions; currency options;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-05-31 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CNA-2008-05-31 (China)
- NEP-MST-2008-05-31 (Market Microstructure)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McKinnon, Ronald, 2006. "China's Exchange Rate Appreciation in the Light of the Earlier Japanese Experience," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-35, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- JosÈ B. Campa & P.H. Kevin Chang & Robert L. Reider, 1997. "ERM bandwidths for EMU and after: evidence from foreign exchange options," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 53-89, 04.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Ronald McKinnon, 2006. "China'S Exchange Rate Appreciation In The Light Of The Earlier Japanese Experience," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 287-298, October.
- Roberta Colavecchio & Michael Funke, 2007.
"Volatility dependence across Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures markets,"
Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers
20708, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Colavecchio , Roberta & Funke, Michael, 2007. "Volatility dependence across Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures markets," BOFIT Discussion Papers 17/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Soderlind, Paul, 2000.
"Market Expectations in the UK before and after the ERM Crisis,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(265), pages 1-18, February.
- Söderlind, Paul, 1997. "Market Expectations in the UK Before and After the ERM Crisis," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 210, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Sep 1998.
- Garman, Mark B. & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1983. "Foreign currency option values," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 231-237, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Chan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.