Is the Hong Kong Dollar Exchange Rate "Bounded" in the Convertibility Zone?
AbstractThe empirical results show that after the introduction of the three refinements to the Linked Exchange Rate system in May 2005 the Hong Kong dollar follows a bounded process that is consistent with a fully credible exchange rate band. The bounded process will limit the movements of the exchange rate to between the strong- and weak-side limits because its variance vanishes at the Convertibility Undertakings making it inaccessible to the limits. The Hong Kong dollar does not show any strong tendency to revert towards the centre of the Convertibility Zone. This is perhaps not surprising as there have been no interventions in the foreign exchange market since May 2005. There may be few forces or incentives for market participants to drive the exchange rate towards 7.80.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hong Kong Monetary Authority in its series Working Papers with number 0713.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 55th Floor, Two International Finance Centre, 8 Finance Street, Central
Web page: http://www.info.gov.hk/hkma/
More information through EDIRC
Linked Exchange Rate system; target zone; mean reversion; bounded process;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-12-08 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CNA-2007-12-08 (China)
- NEP-MON-2007-12-08 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dong He & Frank Leung & Philip Ng, 2007. "How Do Macroeconomic Developments in Mainland China Affect Hong Kong's Short-term Interest Rates?," Working Papers 0717, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Laurence Fung & Ip-wing Yu, 2007. "Assessing the Credibility of The Convertibility Zone of The Hong Kong Dollar," Working Papers 0719, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Chan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.