Objectivist versus Subjectivist Approaches to the Marxian Theory of Exploitation
AbstractThis paper analyses two central issues in exploitation theory. First, the appropriate definition of individual and aggregate measures of exploitation is discussed. Second, the relation between profits and exploitation (the so-called Fundamental Marxian Theorem) is analysed. A general framework for the analysis of exploitation in the context of convex cone economies is proposed and various alternative equilibrium concepts are discussed. The limits of subjectivist approaches to exploitation, which crucially depend on agents' preferences, are shown. An objectivist approach to exploitation, which is related to the socalled 'New Interpretation' (Dumenil, 1980; Foley, 1982) is proposed. It is argued that it captures the core intuitions of exploitation theory and that it provides appropriate indices of individual and aggregate exploitation. Further, it is shown that it preserves the Fundamental Marxian Theorem in general economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number a514.
Length: 30, 2 p.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Note: First Version, November 2008; This Version, February 2009
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Exploitation; Fundamental Marxian Theorem; general convex cone economies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D46 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Value Theory
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- E11 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Marxian; Sraffian; Institutional; Evolutionary
- B51 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Socialist; Marxian; Sraffian
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roberto Veneziani & Naoki Yoshihara, 2009. "Strong Subjectivism in the Marxian Theory of Exploitation: A Critique," Working Papers 654, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.