No-Envy, Efficiency, and Collective Rationality
AbstractWe consider the problem of a fair collective choice function (fair CCF) which maps each profile of extended preference orderings into the set of fair social states (the set consists of alternatives which are both Pareto efficient and envy-free) when such a set exists. Our main objective is to examine compatibility of fair social choices with collective rationality. We formulate desirable properties of collective rationality, and look for CCFs satisfying them. Next, we show that there is no CCF that satisfies most of the choice-consistency properties and a simple concept of fairness simultaneously. Moreover, we reveal that there exists no collective choice function that selects efficient and envy-free states cannot be rationalized by a social preference relation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University in its series Discussion Papers with number 2011-08.
Length: 23 p.
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EVO-2011-09-16 (Evolutionary Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2011-09-16 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamantaras, D. & Thomson, W., 1988.
"A Refinement And Extension Of The No-Envy Concept,"
RCER Working Papers
133, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Diamantaras, Dimitrios & Thomson, William, 1989. "A refinement and extension of the no-envy concept," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 103-107, August.
- Diamantaras, Dimitrios & Thomson, William, 1990. "A refinement and extension of the no-envy concept," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 217-222, July.
- Goldman, Steven M. & Sussangkarn, Chal, 1978. "On the concept of fairness," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 210-216, October.
- Tadenuma, Koichi, 1998.
"Efficiency First or Equity First?: Two Principles and Rationality of Social Choice,"
1998-01, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Tadenuma, Koichi, 2002. "Efficiency First or Equity First? Two Principles and Rationality of Social Choice," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 462-472, June.
- M. Fleurbaey & A. Trannoy, 2000.
"The Impossibility of a Paretian Egalitarian,"
THEMA Working Papers
2000-26, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Koji Sakaguchi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.