Tests for Long-Run Granger Non-Causality in Cointegrated Systems
AbstractIn this paper, we propose a new approach to test the hypothesis of long-run Granger non-causality in cointegrated systems. We circumvent the problem of singularity of the variance-covariance matrix associated with the usual Wald type test by proposing a generalized inverse procedure, and an alternative simple procedure which can be approximated by a suitable chi-square distribution. A test for the ranks of submatrices of the cointegration matrix and its orthogonal matrix plays a vital role in the former. The relevant small sample experiments indicate that the proposed method performs reasonably well in finite samples. As empirical applications, we examine long-run causal relations among long-term interest rates of three and five nations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University in its series Discussion Papers with number 2003-12.
Length: 39 p.
Date of creation: Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Note: February 2001; First Revision, February 2002; Second Revision, February 2003; Third Revision, June 2003
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Vector autoregression; Cointegration; Long-run causality; Hypothesis testing;
Other versions of this item:
- Taku Yamamoto & Eiji Kurozumi, 2006. "Tests for Long-Run Granger Non-Causality in Cointegrated Systems," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5), pages 703-723, 09.
- Taku Yamamoto & Eiji Kurozumi, 2003. "Tests for Long-Run Granger Non-Causality in Cointegrated Systems," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d03-01, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paruolo Paolo, 2004.
"The likelihood ratio test for the rank of a cointegration submatrix,"
Economics and Quantitative Methods
qf04024, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Paolo Paruolo, 2006. "The Likelihood Ratio Test for the Rank of a Cointegration Submatrix," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(s1), pages 921-948, December.
- Bilge Kagan Ozdemir, 2009. "Banking Sector Stability During The Process Of Euro Adoption," Anadolu University Journal of Social Sciences, Anadolu University, vol. 9(1), pages 123-1236, June.
- Majid Al-Sadoon, 2013.
"Geometric and Long Run Aspects of Granger Causality,"
682, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Majid M. Al-Sadoon, 2013. "Geometric and long run aspects of Granger causality," Economics Working Papers 1356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Fanelli, Luca & Paruolo, Paolo, 2010.
"Speed of adjustment in cointegrated systems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 130-141, September.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/1483 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yiannis Kamarianakis & Vagelis Kaslis, 2005. "Geographical competition-complementarity relationships between Greek regional economies," ERSA conference papers ersa05p552, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Koji Sakaguchi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.