Gender-Differential Effects of Conflict on Education: The Case of the 1981-1993 Punjab Insurgency
AbstractThis study explores the long-run effect of the 1981-1993 Punjab Insurgency on the educational attainment of adults who were between ages 6-16 years at the time of the insurgency, using the 2005 India Human Development Survey. We find a substantial and statistically significant negative effect of terrorism on educational attainment. To explore the channels through which the conflict affected education, we use a unique historical dataset on the annual expenditure decisions by farmers in the state of Punjab during 1978-1989. We find a significant reduction in expenditure on education by households with a high ratio of girls to boys and those residing in violence affected districts, which suggests that this reduction was one of the demand-side channels through which conflict affected education.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Households in Conflict Network in its series HiCN Working Papers with number 143.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.hicn.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Akresh & Philip Verwimp & Tom Bundervoet, 2011.
"Civil War, Crop Failure, and Child Stunting in Rwanda,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages 777 - 810.
- Akresh, Richard & Verwimp, Philip & Bundervoet, Tom, 2007. "Civil war, crop failure, and child stunting in Rwanda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4208, The World Bank.
- Akresh, Richard & de Walque, Damien, 2008.
"Armed Conflict and Schooling: Evidence from the 1994 Rwandan Genocide,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3516, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Akresh, Richard & de Walque, Damien, 2008. "Armed conflict and schooling : evidence from the 1994 Rwandan genocide," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4606, The World Bank.
- Richard Akresh & Damien de Walque, 2008. "Armed Conflict and Schooling: Evidence from the 1994 Rwandan Genocide," HiCN Working Papers 47, Households in Conflict Network.
- Gianmarco León, 2012.
"Civil Conflict and Human Capital Accumulation: The Long-term Effects of Political Violence in Perú,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 47(4), pages 991-1022.
- Gianmarco León, 2012. "Civil conflict and human capital accumulation: The long-term effects of political violence in Perú," Economics Working Papers 1333, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Tom Bundervoet & Philip Verwimp & Richard Akresh, 2008.
"Health and Civil War in Rural Burundi,"
Research Working Papers
5, MICROCON - A Micro Level Analysis of Violent Conflict.
- Bundervoet, Tom & Verwimp, Philip & Akresh, Richard, 2008. "Health and civil war in rural Burundi," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4500, The World Bank.
- Bundervoet, Tom & Verwimp, Philip & Akresh, Richard, 2007. "Health and Civil War in Rural Burundi," IZA Discussion Papers 2951, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Akresh, Richard & Lucchetti, Leonardo & Thirumurthy, Harsha, 2012.
"Wars and child health: Evidence from the Eritrean–Ethiopian conflict,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 330-340.
- Richard Akresh & Leonardo Lucchetti & Harsha Thirumurthy, 2010. "Wars and Child Health: Evidence from the Eritrean-Ethiopian Conflict," HiCN Working Papers 89, Households in Conflict Network.
- Akresh, Richard & Lucchetti, Leonardo & Thirumurthy, Harsha, 2011. "Wars and Child Health: Evidence from the Eritrean-Ethiopian Conflict," IZA Discussion Papers 5558, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olaf J. de Groot & Idil Göksel, 2011. "Conflict and Education Demand in the Basque Region," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 55(4), pages 652-677, August.
- Christopher Blattman & Jeannie Annan, 2010.
"The Consequences of Child Soldiering,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 92(4), pages 882-898, November.
- Olga Shemyakina, 2006.
"The Effect of Armed Conflict on Accumulation of Schooling: Results from Tajikistan,"
HiCN Working Papers
12, Households in Conflict Network.
- Shemyakina, Olga, 2011. "The effect of armed conflict on accumulation of schooling: Results from Tajikistan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 186-200, July.
- Alan B. Krueger & Mikael Lindahl, 2000.
"Education for Growth: Why and For Whom?,"
NBER Working Papers
7591, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ouarda Merrouche, 2006.
"The long-term educational cost of war: evidence from landmine contamination in Cambodia,"
IFS Working Papers
W06/11, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ouarda Merrouche, 2011. "The Long Term Educational Cost of War: Evidence from Landmine Contamination in Cambodia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(3), pages 399-416.
- Elaina Rose, 1999. "Consumption Smoothing and Excess Female Mortality in Rural India," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(1), pages 41-49, February.
- Chamarbagwala, Rubiana & Morán, Hilcías E., 2011. "The human capital consequences of civil war: Evidence from Guatemala," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 41-61, January.
- Eik Leong Swee, 2009. "On War and Schooling Attainment: The Case of Bosnia and Herzegovina," HiCN Working Papers 57, Households in Conflict Network.
- Jeannie Annan & Christopher Blattman & Dyan Mazurana & Khristopher Carlson, 2011. "Civil War, Reintegration, and Gender in Northern Uganda," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 55(6), pages 877-908, December.
- Gates, Scott & Hegre, Håvard & Nygård, Håvard Mokleiv & Strand, Håvard, 2012. "Development Consequences of Armed Conflict," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1713-1722.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alia Aghajanian) or () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address or () or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.