Demand for Local Public Schooling: Another Brick in the Wall
AbstractIn this paper we investigate the demand for local public school expenditures in Sweden. By using survey data, a method previously never applied to Swedish data, the paper provides an additional piece of evidence on individual demand for publicly provided local services. Estimating a linear demand specification, we find that the demand is inelastic with respect to income and tax, much in line with previous Swedish findings in a median voter framework. Estimation of a log-linear demand specification indicates more elastic demand. Testing the hypothesis that municipal employees tend to have a higher demand for public spending than others, we conclude that income, as well as taxprice, enters the demand function differently for the two groups of employees. We find no evidence of Tiebout sorting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Uppsala University, Department of Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 2000:12.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 17 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in International Tax and Public Finance, 2001, pages 331-351.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Uppsala University, P. O. Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Demand for local public school expenditure; survey data; public employees;
Other versions of this item:
- Ahlin, A. & Johansson, E., 2000. "Demand for Local Public Schooling: Another Brick in the Wall," Papers 2000:120, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Ahlin, A. & Johansson, E., 2000. "Demand for Local Public Schooling: Another Brick in the Wall," Papers 2000:12, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- H40 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - General
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ted Bergstrom & Judy Roberts & Dan Rubinfeld & Perry Shapiro, 1988. "A Test for Efficiency in the Supply of Local Public Education," Papers _036, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Rubinfeld, Daniel L. & Shapiro, Perry, 1989. "Micro-estimation of the demand for schooling : Evidence from Michigan and Massachusetts," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 381-398, August.
- Bergstrom, P. & Dahlberg, M. & Johansson, E., 1998.
"Municipal Labour Demand. Sweden 1988-1995,"
1998:24, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Shapiro, Perry & Papadakis, Elim, 1993.
"Citizen Preference and Public Education in Australia: An Analysis of Interstate Differences,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 69(205), pages 149-62, June.
- Shapiro, P. & Papadakis, E., 1991. "Citizen Preferences and Public Education in Australia: An Analysis of Interstate Diffrences," CEPR Discussion Papers 252, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Rubinfeld, Daniel L & Shapiro, Perry & Roberts, Judith, 1987. "Tiebout Bias and the Demand for Local Public Schooling," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 426-37, August.
- Hausman, Jerry A., 1980.
"The effect of wages, taxes, and fixed costs on women's labor force participation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 161-194, October.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1980. "The effect of wages, taxes, and fixed costs on women's labor force participation," NBER Chapters, in: Econometric Studies in Public Finance, pages 161-194 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Hausman, 1979. "The Effect of Wages, Taxes and Fixed Costs on Women's Labor Force Participation," Working papers 238, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C & Rubinfeld, Daniel L & Shapiro, Perry, 1982. "Micro-Based Estimates of Demand Functions for Local School Expenditures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1183-1205, September.
- Courant, Paul N & Gramlich, Edward M & Rubinfeld, Daniel L, 1979. "Public Employee Market Power and the Level of Government Spending," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(5), pages 806-17, December.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Wikstrom, Magnus, 1996. "Local public expenditure in Sweden a model where the median voter is not necessarily decisive," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1705-1716, December.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C. & Roberts, Judith A. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L. & Shapiro, Perry, 1988. "A test for efficiency in the supply of public education," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 289-307, April.
- Edward M. Gramlich & Daniel L. Rubinfeld, 1982. "Voting on public spending: Differences between public employees, transfer recipients, and private workers," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(4), pages 516-533.
- Schokkaert, Erik, 1987. "Preferences and demand for local public spending," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 175-188, November.
- Ahlin, Åsa, 2003. "Does School Competition Matter? Effects of a Large-Scale School Choice Reform on Student Performance," Working Paper Series 2003:2, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Åsa Ahlin & Eva Johansson, 2001.
"Individual Demand for Local Public Schooling: Evidence from Swedish Survey Data,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 331-351, August.
- Ahlin, Åsa & Johansson, Eva, 2001. "Individual demand for local public schooling: Evidence from Swedish survey data," Working Paper Series 2001:1, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarina Grönvall).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.