The Determinants of Urban House Price Fluctuations in Sweden 1967-94
AbstractThis paper asks if the dramatic fluctuations in Swedish single family house prices experienced over the last decade have only been driven by fundamental demand and supply factors or if they result also from speculative behaviour in the housing market. A restricted error-correction model of real house prices is estimated on a Swedish panel data set using a fully modified estimator of the cointegrating relation. The results suggest that the boom and bust experienced around 1990 was primarily driven by fundamentals. The short term equation explains about 70 percent of the total variation in real house price changes. The estimate of the error-correction parameter suggests that adjustment following a shock to the market is quite rapid as compared with other countries such as the U.S, the U.K and Norway.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Uppsala University, Department of Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 1997:4.
Length: 52 pages
Date of creation: 15 Jan 1997
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Housing Economics , 1998, pages 93-120.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Uppsala University, P. O. Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
house prices; adjustment dynamics; fundamentals; speculative behaviour;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maurice J. Roche, 1999. "Irish House Prices - Will the Roof Cave In?," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 30(4), pages 343-362.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarina Grönvall).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.