On Envelope Theorems in Economics: Inspired by a Revival of a Forgotten Lecture
AbstractThis paper studies how envelope theorems have been used in Economics, their history and also who first introduced them. The existing literature is full of them and the reason is that all families of optimal value functions can produce them. The paper is driven by curiosity, but hopefully it will give the reader some new insights.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Umeå University, Department of Economics in its series Umeå Economic Studies with number 830.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 16 Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Envelope theorems; names and history; value functions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B16 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Quantitative and Mathematical
- B21 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Microeconomics
- B40 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2011-10-01 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2011-10-01 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aronsson, Thomas & Löfgren, Karl-Gustaf & Nyström, Kaj, 2003. "Stochastic Cost Benefit Rules: A Back-of-a-Lottery-Ticket Calculation Method," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 606, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Caputo, Michael R., 1990. "How to do comparative dynamics on the back of an envelope in optimal control theory," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 655-683, October.
- Torsten Schmidt, 2004. "Really Pushing the Envelope: Early Use of the Envelope Theorem by Auspitz and Lieben," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 103-129, Spring.
- Li, Chuan-Zhong & Löfgren, Karl-Gustaf, 2009. "Genuine Saving under Stochastic Growth," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 779, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Seierstad, Atle, 1982. "Differentiability properties of the optimal value function in control theory," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 303-310, November.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T. & Barney, L. Dwayne, 1991. "The envelope theorem in dynamic optimization," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 355-385, April.
- Chuan-Zhong Li & Karl-Gustaf Löfgren, 2008.
"Evaluating Projects in a Dynamic Economy: Some New Envelope Results,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 1-16, 02.
- Li, Chuan-Zhong & Löfgren, Karl-Gustaf, 2003. "Evaluating Projects in a Dynamic Economy: Some New Envelope Results," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 613, Umeå University, Department of Economics, revised 04 Dec 2006.
- Caputo, Michael R, 1990. "Comparative Dynamics via Envelope Methods in Variational Calculus," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 689-97, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.