Parallel Imports and Mandatory Substitution Reform - A Kick or A Muff for Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals?
AbstractWhat has been the effect of competition from parallel imports on prices of locally-sourced on-patent drugs? Did the 2002 Swedish mandatory substitution reform increase this competition? To answer these questions, we carried out difference-in-differences estimation on monthly data for a panel of all on-patent prescription drugs sold in Sweden during the 40 months from January 2001 through April 2004. On average, facing competition from parallel imports caused a 15-17% fall in price. While the reform increased the effect of competition from parallel imports, it was only by 0.9%. The reform, however, did increase the effect of therapeutic competition by 1.6%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Umeå University, Department of Economics in its series Umeå Economic Studies with number 824.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 13 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
parallel imports; pharmaceutical drugs; price competition; reference pricing; therapeutic competition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-04-23 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HME-2011-04-23 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-IPR-2011-04-23 (Intellectual Property Rights)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Granlund, David & Yesim Köksal, Miyase, 2012. "EU Enlargement, Parallel Trade and Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals - What’s to Blame? Derogation or Perception?," HUI Working Papers 59, HUI Research.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Holmås, Tor Helge & Straume, Odd Rune, 2014.
"Price Regulation and Parallel Imports of Pharmaceuticals,"
Discussion Paper Series in Economics
1/2014, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Tor Helge Holmås & Odd Rune Straume, 2014. "Price Regulation and Parallel Imports of Pharmaceuticals," NIPE Working Papers 01/2014, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Granlund, David, 2012. "The effect of pharmacies’ right to negotiate discounts on the market share of parallel imported pharmaceuticals," HUI Working Papers 75, HUI Research.
- Granlund, David & Yesim Köksal, Miyase, 2011. "EU Enlargement, Parallel Trade and Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals - What’s to Blame? Derogation or Perception?," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 831, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.