Extreme-Value Characteristics in Daily Time Series of Swedish Stock Returns
AbstractThe paper studies Swedish stock series using extreme-value theoretical approaches. In a univariate setting support is found for the Fréchet family of distributions for minima and maxima. Pairs of return series are found to be asymptotically independent throughout. The results render support for joint modelling based on flexible moment specifications or, e.g., copulas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Umeå University, Department of Economics in its series Umeå Economic Studies with number 597.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 03 Dec 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Value-at-Risk; minimum/maximum return; crossing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-12-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2002-12-09 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2002-12-09 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Longin, Francois M., 2000. "From value at risk to stress testing: The extreme value approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1097-1130, July.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- Byström, Hans, 2001.
"Managing Extreme Risks in Tranquil and Volatile Markets Using Conditional Extreme Value Theory,"
2001:18, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bystrom, Hans N. E., 2004. "Managing extreme risks in tranquil and volatile markets using conditional extreme value theory," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 133-152.
- Söderberg, Jonas, 2008. "Test of the Gaussian Copula on the Swedish Stock Market," CAFO Working Papers 2009:9, Centre for Labour Market Policy Research (CAFO), School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.