International Cooperation over Green Taxes: On the Impossibility of Achieving a Probability-One Gain
AbstractThis paper concerns international coordination of environmental taxation. The main purpose is to study the global welfare effects that will arise, if there is an agreement between countries to slightly increase their emission taxes. We show that even if each individual country has chosen its prereform emission tax to be 'too low' in comparison with the marginal cost of the environmental damage caused by that particular country's emissions, implementation of the agreement will not necessarily increase the welfare level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Umeå University, Department of Economics in its series Umeå Economic Studies with number 522.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 11 Feb 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Environmental taxation; global external effects;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General Welfare
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2000-02-15 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2000-02-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2000-02-14 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aronsson, T. & Blomquist, S., 2000.
"Optimal Taxation, Global Externalities and Labor Mobility,"
2000-15, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Blomquist, Soren, 2003. "Optimal taxation, global externalities and labor mobility," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 2749-2764, December.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Blomquist, Sören, 2000. "Optimal Taxation, Global Externalities and Labor Mobility," Working Paper Series 2000:15, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Aronsson & Sören Blomquist, 2001. "Optimal Taxation, Global Externalities and Labor Mobility," CESifo Working Paper Series 458, CESifo Group Munich.
- Aronsson, T. & Blomquist, S., 2000. "Optimal Taxation, Global Externalities and Labor Mobility," Papers 2000:15, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Blomquist, Sören, 2000. "Optimal Taxation, Global Externalities and Labor Mobility," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 544, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.