Regional Policy, Integration and the Location of Industry
AbstractMany countries devote a large part of their national budget to regional policy. This paper analyses the interaction of economic integration and some typical regional policies in a new economic geography model with three regions of different size. The policies analysed are the relocation of government activities, infrastructure investment and subsidies to the establishment of industry. It is shown how regional policy can easily be misdirected.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm University, Department of Economics in its series Research Papers in Economics with number 2003:7.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Stockholm, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 16 20 00
Fax: +46 8 16 14 25
Web page: http://www.ne.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
agglomeration; economic geography; regional policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dupont, Vincent & Martin, Philippe, 2003.
"Subsidies to Poor Regions and Inequalities: Some Unpleasant Arithmetic,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4107, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vincent Dupont & Philippe Martin, 2006. "Subsidies to poor regions and inequalities: some unpleasant arithmetic," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 223-240, April.
- Rikard Forslid & Toshihiro Okubo, 2010.
"On the development strategy of countries of intermediate size -An analysis of heterogenous firms in a multiregion framework,"
Discussion Paper Series
DP2010-36, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Forslid, Rikard & Okubo, Toshihiro, 2012. "On the development strategy of countries of intermediate size—An analysis of heterogeneous firms in a multi-region framework," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 747-756.
- Rikard Forslid & Toshihiro Okubo, 2011. "On the development strategy of countries of intermediate size - An analysis of heterogeneous firms in a multi-region framework," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2011-029, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Forslid, Rikard & Okubo, Toshihiro, 2011. "On the development strategy of countries of intermediate size - An analysis of heterogenous firms in a multiregion framework," CEPR Discussion Papers 8178, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Forslid, Rikard & Okubo, Toshihiro, 2010. "On the Development Strategy of Countries of Intermediate size - An Analysis of Heterogenous Fims in a Multiregion Framework," Research Papers in Economics 2010:28, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene, 2004.
"Regional Policy Design: An Analysis of Relocation, Efficiency and Equity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4321, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ulltveit-Moe, Karen Helene, 2007. "Regional policy design: An analysis of relocation, efficiency and equity," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1443-1467, August.
- Jürgen von Hagen, 2007. "Institutionelle Gestaltung föderaler Systeme: Theorie und Empirie," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(2), pages 109-109, 03.
- Cornelius Bähr & Ulrike Stierle-von Schütz & Matthias Wrede, 2007. "Dezentralisierung in den EU-Staaten und räumliche Verteilung wirtschaftlicher Aktivitäten," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(2), pages 110-129, 03.
- Cristobal, Adolfo, 2007.
"Trade and migration: a U-shaped transition in Eastern Europe,"
3446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adolfo Cristobal-Campoamor, 2008. "Trade and Migration: a U-Shaped Transition in Eastern Europe ," Working Papers 010-08, International School of Economics at TSU, Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sten Nyberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.