What's in a name? A field experiment test for the existence of ethnic discrimination in the hiring process
AbstractThis paper provides evidence of extensive ethnic discrimination in the Swedish labour market. A field experiment (correspondence test) that tests employer discrimination has been performed. Pairs of equally merited applications has been sent to job openings, one with a Swedish sounding name and one with a foreign sounding name. Discrimination is measured by documenting the existence of an ethnic difference in call-backs. The results indicate that there is discrimination in all of the occupations that were tested in the experiment, but that the extent of the ethnic discrimination differs between the occupations. An attempt is also made to explain the results applying the theories of statistical discrimination and social distance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm University Linnaeus Center for Integration Studies - SULCIS in its series SULCIS Working Papers with number 2007:7.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 27 Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stockholm University Linnaeus Center for Integration Studies - SULCIS, Stockholm University, S-10691 Stockholm, Sweden
Web page: http://www.su.se/sulcis
More information through EDIRC
ethnic discrimination in the labour market; statistical discrimination; social distance; field experiment; correspondence test;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
- J71 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination - - - Hiring and Firing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-EXP-2007-12-01 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2007-12-01 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MIG-2007-12-01 (Economics of Human Migration)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlsson, Magnus & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2007. "Evidence of ethnic discrimination in the Swedish labor market using experimental data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 716-729, August.
- Nicolas Jacquemet & Constantine Yannelis, 2011.
"Indiscriminate Discrimination : A correspondence Test for Ethnic Homophily in the Chicago Labor Market,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Jacquemet, Nicolas & Yannelis, Constantine, 2012. "Indiscriminate discrimination: A correspondence test for ethnic homophily in the Chicago labor market," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 824-832.
- Nicolas Jacquemet & Constantine Yannelis, 2012. "Indiscriminate Discrimination: A Correspondence Test for Ethnic Homophily in the Chicago Labor Market," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00745109, HAL.
- Nicolas Jacquemet & Constantine Yannelis, 2011. "Indiscriminate Discrimination : A Correspondence Test for Ethnic Homophily in the Chicago Labor Market," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11013, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Eva O. Arceo-Gomez & Raymundo M. Campos-Vazquez, 2013.
"Race and Marriage in the Labor Market: A Discrimination Correspondence Study in a Developing Country,"
Serie documentos de trabajo del Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos
2013-03, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos.
- Arceo-Gomez, Eva O. & Campos-Vázquez, Raymundo M., 2013. "Race and Marriage in the Labor Market: A Discrimination Correspondence Study in a Developing Country," MPRA Paper 48000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eva Olimpia Arceo-Gómez & Raymundo M. Campos-Vazquez, 2013. "Race and Marriage in the Labor Market: A Discrimination Correspondence Study in a Developing Country," Documentos de Trabajo DTE 553, CIDE, Division de Economia.
- S. Baert & E. Verhofstadt, 2013. "Labour market discrimination against former juvenile delinquents: evidence from a field experiment," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 13/852, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- S. Baert, 2013. "Career Lesbians. Getting Hired for Not Having Kids?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 13/842, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Nekby).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.