Separate Cash Flow Evaluations - Applications to Investment Decisions and Tax Design
AbstractOil project assessment using separate cash flow valuation (Jacoby and Laughton, 1992; Laughton and Jacoby, 1993; Emhjellen and Alaouze, 2002), presumes that the present value of the cost cash flow of oil projects can be calculated using a risk free rate. This paper examines whether this practise, at least to a first approximation, is reasonable. More specifically, the paper examines whether labour wage hours costs and steel prices – as cost factors in the investment cost stream – are systematic risk factors (i.e., have a beta different from zero). The paper also investigates whether oil price as a factor in the revenue stream is a systematic revenue factor. Separate cash flow evaluation has been discussed in relation to petroleum taxation. A petroleum tax commission in Norway stated that tax reductions due to depreciation should separately be discounted by a risk free rate. We discuss the role of partial cash flow discounting in tax design.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Stavanger in its series UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance with number 2009/16.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 09 Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming in International Journal of Global Energy Issues, 2010.
Oil; project; evaluation;
Other versions of this item:
- Magne Emhjellen & Petter Osmundsen, 2011. "Separate cash flow valuation – applications to investment decisions and tax design," International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 35(1), pages 43-63.
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2009-04-18 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2009-04-18 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-PPM-2009-04-18 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osmundsen, Petter, 1999. "Risk sharing and incentives in norwegian petroleum extraction," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 549-555, September.
- David G. Laughton & Henry D. Jacoby, 1993. "Reversion, Timing Options, and Long-Term Decision-Making," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(3), Fall.
- Schall, Lawrence D, 1972. "Asset Valuation, Firm Investment, and Firm Diversification," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(1), pages 11-28, January.
- Emhjellen, Kjetil & Emhjellen, Magne & Osmundsen, Petter, 2002. "Investment cost estimates and investment decisions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 91-96, January.
- David G. Laughton, 1998. "The Potential for Use of Modern Asset Pricing Methods for Upstream Petroleum Project Evaluation: Concluding Remarks," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 149-153.
- Lund, Diderik, 1992.
"Petroleum taxation under uncertainty: contingent claims analysis with an application to Norway,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 23-31, January.
- Lund, D., 1990. "Petroleum Taxation under Uncertainty-Contingent Claims Analysis with an Application to Norway," Memorandum, Oslo University, Department of Economics 24/1990, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- David Laughton, 1998. "The Management of Flexibility in the Upstream Petroleum Industry," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 83-114.
- Osmundsen, Petter & Emhjellen, Magne, 2010. "Decision criteria for climate projects," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance, University of Stavanger 2010/2, University of Stavanger.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernt Arne Odegaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.