The Ideological Profile of Faculty in the Humanities and Social Sciences: A Reply to Zipp and Fenwick
AbstractABSTRACT: In a recent Public Opinion Quarterly article “Is the Academy a Liberal Hegemony?,” John Zipp and Rudy Fenwick pit themselves against “right-wing activists and scholars,” citing our scholarship (Klein and Stern 2005a; Klein and Western 2005). Here we analyze Zipp and Fenwick’s characterization of our research and find it faulty in three important respects. We then turn to their “liberal v. conservative” findings and show they concord with our analysis. If one feels that it is a problem that humanities and social science faculty at four-year colleges and universities are vastly predominantly Democratic voters, mostly with what may called establishment-left or progressive views, then such concerns should not be allayed by Zipp and Fenwick’s article. This Reply was submitted to Public Opinion Quarterly on October 16, 2006, except that the submission did not include the Summary and without Appendix 1 that appear here at the end of the paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swedish Institute for Social Research in its series Working Paper Series with number 7/2006.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2006
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-HPE-2006-11-25 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-SOG-2006-11-25 (Sociology of Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Niclas Berggren & Henrik Jordahl & Charlotta Stern, 2009.
"The Political Opinions of Swedish Social Scientists,"
Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association,
Finnish Economic Association, vol. 22(2), pages 75-88, Autumn.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik & Stern, Charlotta, 2007. "The Political Opinions of Swedish Social Scientists," Working Paper Series, Research Institute of Industrial Economics 711, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik & Stern, Charlotta, 2007. "The Political Opinions of Swedish Social Scientists," Ratio Working Papers, The Ratio Institute 112, The Ratio Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Lindahl).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.