U.S. Exchange Rates and Currency Flows
AbstractAfter the Meese & Rogoff 1983-results, researchers have searched with torch for macroeconomic variables with predictive power on horizons shorter than 6 months. Recently, several papers have showed that order flows influence exchange rates intradaily. Maybe order flow may be of importance also for lower frequencies than intraday, like the weekly frequency? In this paper I test a trading model where order flow may be informative due to the existence of private information, and where there are important macroeconomic public information as well. Using weekly data for spot and options trading in the U.S., the model is tested for five exchange rates against US Dollar. For three of the exchange rates, DEM/USD, GBP/USD and CHF/USD, I find that order flow is an important variable for explaining weekly changes in exchange rates. The coefficients are both statistically and economically significant, and have intuitive sign. When U.S. banks sell foreign currency, the foreign currency depreciates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Financial Research in its series SIFR Research Report Series with number 4.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 15 Dec 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Institute for Financial Research Drottninggatan 89, SE-113 60 Stockholm, Sweden
Web page: http://www.sifr.org/
More information through EDIRC
Foreign Exchange; International Macroeconomics; Microstructure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-12-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2002-12-09 (Finance)
- NEP-IFN-2002-12-09 (International Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hoidal Bjonnes, Geir & Rime, Dagfinn, 2003.
"Dealer Behavior and Trading Systems in Foreign Exchange Markets,"
SIFR Research Report Series
17, Institute for Financial Research.
- Bjonnes, Geir Hoidal & Rime, Dagfinn, 2005. "Dealer behavior and trading systems in foreign exchange markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 571-605, March.
- Geir Hoidal Bjonnes & Dagfinn Rime, 2003. "Dealer Behavior and Trading Systems in Foreign Exchange Markets," Working Paper 2003/10, Norges Bank.
- M. Martin Boyer & Simon van Norden, 2006.
"Exchange Rates and Order Flow in the Long Run,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Castrén, Olli, 2004. "Do financial market variables show (symmetric) indicator properties relative to exchange rate returns?," Working Paper Series 0379, European Central Bank.
- Kate Phylaktis & Long Chen, 2010. "Asymmetric information, price discovery and macroeconomic announcements in FX market: do top trading banks know more?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 228-246.
- Castrén, Olli & Osbat, Chiara & Sydow, Matthias, 2006. "What drives investors’ behaviour in different FX market segments? A VAR-based return decomposition analysis," Working Paper Series 0706, European Central Bank.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Tarun Ramadorai, 2002.
"Currency Returns, Institutional Investor Flows, and Exchange Rate Fundamentals,"
NBER Working Papers
9080, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Tarun Ramadorai, 2002. "Currency Returns, Institutional Investor Flows, and Exchange Rate Fundamentals," NBER Working Papers 9101, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wagner, Christian, 2012.
"Risk-premia, carry-trade dynamics, and economic value of currency speculation,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1195-1219.
- Wagner, Christian, 2009. "Risk-Premia, Carry-Trade Dynamics, and Economic Value of Currency Speculation," MPRA Paper 21125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joshua V. Rosenberg & Leah G. Traub, 2006. "Price discovery in the foreign currency futures and spot market," Staff Reports 262, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Sean J. Gossel & Nicholas Biekpe, 2012. "The nominal rand/dollar exchange rate: before and after 1995," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(2), pages 105-117, June.
- Michael J. Sager & Mark P. Taylor, 2006. "Under the microscope: the structure of the foreign exchange market," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 81-95.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anki Helmer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.