Export experience of managers and the internationalization of firms
AbstractAs the firm gravitates to the core analysis of international trade models, the possibilities to learn from the theory of the multinational enterprise developed in international business studies increase. The managerial resources and capabilities that are so emphasized in this theory for export initiation have largely been neglected in the empirical studies of international trade. Probably not because they are unimportant, but rather because of the challenge to identify and measure them. We exploit Danish employer-employee matched data to overcome this barrier and analyze the impact of managers’ international experience together with other managerial characteristics on the likelihood that the firm starts exporting. We find that productivity and fixed costs associated to exporting are not the sole determinants of the selection of firms into international markets, but “managerial inputs” are as important. Our data allows us to identify managers’ export experience based on the CEOs’ historical career as documented in official registry statistics. This puts our study apart from earlier survey based studies which rely on self-assessments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark in its series Discussion Papers of Business and Economics with number 18/2012.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 06 Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, DK-5230 Odense M, Denmark
Phone: 65 50 32 33
Fax: 65 50 32 37
Web page: http://www.sdu.dk/ivoe
More information through EDIRC
Export status; managerial promotions; international experience; self-selection;
Other versions of this item:
- Davide Sala & Erdal Yalcin, 2012. "Export Experience of Managers and the Internationalization of Firms," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 139, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- M51 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Firm Employment Decisions; Promotions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-09-16 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2012-09-16 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2012-09-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HIS-2012-09-16 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-INT-2012-09-16 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giordano Mion & Luca David Opromolla, 2011.
"Managers' Mobility, Trade Status and Wages,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1044, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mion, Giordano & Opromolla, Luca David, 2011. "Managers' Mobility, Trade Status, and Wages," CEPR Discussion Papers 8230, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giordano Mion & Luca David Opromolla, 2011. "Managers’ Mobility, Trade Status, and Wages," Working Papers w201104, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996.
"The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-97, November.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," NBER Working Papers 3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Working Papers 92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Davide Sala & Philipp J.H. Schröder & Erdal Yalcin, 2009.
"Market Access through Bound Tariffs,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2858, CESifo Group Munich.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 225-38, January.
- Giuseppe Bertola, 2010. "Options, Inaction, And Uncertainty," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 57(s1), pages 254-271, 07.
- Bell, Linda & Smith, Nina & Smith, Valdemar & Verner, Mette, 2008. "Gender differences in promotion into top-management jobs," Working Papers 08-21, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Luis Garicano, 2000. "Hierarchies and the Organization of Knowledge in Production," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(5), pages 874-904, October.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Li, Jing & Rugman, Alan M., 2007. "Real options and the theory of foreign direct investment," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 687-712, December.
- Sebastian Krautheim, 2007. "Gravity and Information: Heterogeneous Firms, Exporter Networks and the 'Distance Puzzle'," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/51, European University Institute.
- Mike W Peng & Anne S York, 2001. "Behind Intermediary Performance in Export Trade: Transactions, Agents, and Resources," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(2), pages 327-346, June.
- Parrotta, Pierpaolo & Pozzoli, Dario & Sala, Davide, 2014.
"Ethnic Diversity and Firms' Export Behavior,"
Discussion Papers of Business and Economics
2/2014, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
- Danielken Molina & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2013. "Preparing to Export," NBER Working Papers 18962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lene Holbæk).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.