Measurement of Returns to Scale Using Non-Radial DEA Models
AbstractThere are some specific features of the non-radial DEA (data envelopment analysis) models which cause some problems under the returns to scale measurement. In the scientific literature on DEA, some methods were suggested to deal with the returns to scale measurement in the non-radial DEA models. These methods are based on using Strong Complementary Slackness Conditions in the optimization theory. However, our investigation and computational experiments show that such methods increase computational complexity significantly and may generate “strange” results. In this paper, we propose and substantiate a direct method for the returns to scale measurement in the non-radial DEA models. Our computational experiments documented that the proposed method works reliably and efficiently on the real-life data sets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oslo University, Department of Economics in its series Memorandum with number 29/2012.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 07 Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as Krivonozhko, Vladimir E., Finn R. Førsund and Andrey V. Lychev, 'Measurement of Returns to Scale Using Non-Radial DEA Models' in european journal of operational research, 2014, pages 664-670.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Data envelopment analysis; Returns to scale; Non-radial models; Efficiency; Strong Complementary Slackness Conditions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C67 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Input-Output Models
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Cooper, William W. & Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M. & Zhu, Joe, 2004. "Returns to scale in different DEA models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 345-362, April.
- Krivonozhko, Vladimir & R. Førsund, Finn & V. Lychev, Andrey, 2011.
"A Note on Imposing Strong Complementary Slackness Conditions in DEA,"
17/2010, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Krivonozhko, Vladimir E. & Førsund, Finn R. & Lychev, Andrey V., 2012. "A note on imposing strong complementary slackness conditions in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 716-721.
- Krivonozhko, Vladimir & Førsund, Finn R., 2009.
"Returms-to-scale Properties in DEA Models: The Fundamental Role of Interior Points,"
15/2009, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Vladimir Krivonozhko & Finn Førsund & Andrey Lychev, 2012. "Returns-to-scale properties in DEA models: the fundamental role of interior points," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 121-130, October.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Førsund , Finn R. & Kittelsen , Sverre A. & Krivonozhko , Vladimir E., 2007. "Farrell Revisited: Visualising the DEA Production Frontier," Memorandum 15/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2009. "An occurrence of multiple projections in DEA-based measurement of technical efficiency: Theoretical comparison among DEA models from desirable properties," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 764-794, July.
- Finn Førsund & Lennart Hjalmarsson & Vladimir Krivonozhko & Oleg Utkin, 2007. "Calculation of scale elasticities in DEA models: direct and indirect approaches," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 45-56, October.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2007. "Measurement of returns to scale using a non-radial DEA model: A range-adjusted measure approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1918-1946, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhiana Bergh-Seeley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.