Entrepreneurs under Uncertainty: An Economic Experiment
AbstractThis study reports findings from the first large scale experiment investigating whether entrepreneurs differ from other people in their willingness to expose themselves to various forms of uncertainty in decision tasks. A stratified random sample of 700 CEOs from the Yangzi delta region in China is compared to 200 control group members. Our findings suggest that entrepreneurs’ seem to be more willing to accept some forms of strategic uncertainty related to multilateral competition and trust. In contrast, entrepreneurs do not seem to differ from ordinary people when it comes to non-strategic forms of uncertainty, such as risk and ambiguity
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Lund University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2012:4.
Length: 76 pages
Date of creation: 30 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as Holm, Håkan J., Sonja Opper and Victor Nee, 'Entrepreneurs under Uncertainty: An Economic Experiment' in Management Science, 2013, pages 1671-1687.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Lund University, Box 7082, S-220 07 Lund,Sweden
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Entrepreneurship; Risk; Ambiguity; Willingness to Compete; Trust;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C93 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Field Experiments
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L21 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Business Objectives of the Firm
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lex Borghans & Bart H.H. Golsteyn & James J. Heckman & Huub Meijers, 2009.
"Gender Differences in Risk Aversion and Ambiguity Aversion,"
NBER Working Papers
14713, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lex Borghans & Bart H. H. Golsteyn & James J. Heckman & Huub Meijers, 2009. "Gender Differences in Risk Aversion and Ambiguity Aversion," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 7(2-3), pages 649-658, 04-05.
- Borghans, Lex & Golsteyn, Bart H.H. & Heckman, James J. & Meijers, Huub, 2009. "Gender Differences in Risk Aversion and Ambiguity Aversion," IZA Discussion Papers 3985, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Borghans Lex & Golsteyn Bart & Heckman James & Meijers Huub, 2009. "Gender Differences in Risk Aversion and Ambiguity Aversion," Research Memoranda 005, Maastricht : ROA, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market.
- Sandri, Serena & Schade, Christian & Mußhoff, Oliver & Odening, Martin, 2010.
"Holding on for too long? An experimental study on inertia in entrepreneurs' and non-entrepreneurs' disinvestment choices,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 30-44, October.
- Sandri, Serena & Schade, Christian & Musshoff, Oliver & Odening, Martin, 2010. "Holding on for too long? An experimental study on inertia in entrepreneurs’ and non-entrepreneurs’ disinvestment choices," Structural Change in Agriculture/Strukturwandel im Agrarsektor (SiAg) Working Papers 59518, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Marco Caliendo & Frank M. Fossen & Alexander S. Kritikos, 2008.
"The Impact of Risk Attitudes on Entrepreneurial Survival,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
108, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Caliendo, Marco & Fossen, Frank & Kritikos, Alexander, 2010. "The impact of risk attitudes on entrepreneurial survival," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 45-63, October.
- Marco Caliendo & Frank M. Fossen & Alexander S. Kritikos, 2008. "The Impact of Risk Attitudes on Entrepreneurial Survival," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 798, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Marco Caliendo & Frank Fossen & Alexander S. Kritikos, 2008. "The Impact of Risk Attitudes on Entrepreneurial Survival," Working Papers 012, Hanseatic University, Germany, Department of Economics.
- Caliendo, Marco & Fossen, Frank M. & Kritikos, Alexander S., 2008. "The Impact of Risk Attitudes on Entrepreneurial Survival," IZA Discussion Papers 3525, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Glenn W. Harrison & John A. List, 2004.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1009-1055, December.
- Steven D. Levitt & John A. List, 2007. "What Do Laboratory Experiments Measuring Social Preferences Reveal About the Real World?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 153-174, Spring.
- Donkers, Bas & Melenberg, Bertrand & Van Soest, Arthur, 2001.
" Estimating Risk Attitudes Using Lotteries: A Large Sample Approach,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 165-95, March.
- Donkers, A.C.D. & Melenberg, B. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 1999. "Estimating Risk Attitudes Using Lotteries; A Large Sample Approach," Discussion Paper 1999-12, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hans-Martin von Gaudecker & Arthur van Soest & Erik Wengstrom, 2011.
"Heterogeneity in Risky Choice Behavior in a Broad Population,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(2), pages 664-94, April.
- Gaudecker, H.M. von & Soest, A.H.O. van & Wengstrom, E., 2009. "Heterogeneity in Risky Choice Behavior in a Broad Population," Discussion Paper 2009-12, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gaudecker, H.M. von & Soest, A.H.O. van & Wengstrom, E., 2011. "Heterogeneity in risky choice behavior in a broad population," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3857699, Tilburg University.
- Gaudecker, Hans-Martin von & van Soest, Arthur & Wengström, Erik, 2009. "Heterogeneity in Risky Choice Behaviour in a Broad Population," IZA Discussion Papers 4022, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cramer, J. S. & Hartog, J. & Jonker, N. & Van Praag, C. M., 2002. "Low risk aversion encourages the choice for entrepreneurship: an empirical test of a truism," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 29-36, May.
- Barton H. Hamilton, 2000. "Does Entrepreneurship Pay? An Empirical Analysis of the Returns to Self-Employment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 604-631, June.
- van Praag, C M & Cramer, J S, 2001. "The Roots of Entrepreneurship and Labour Demand: Individual Ability and Low Risk Aversion," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(269), pages 45-62, February.
- Hans Binswanger, 1980. "Attitudes toward risk: Experimental measurement in rural india," Artefactual Field Experiments 00009, The Field Experiments Website.
- Nee, Victor & Opper, Sonja, 2012. "Capitalism from Below: Markets and Institutional Change in China," Economics Books, Harvard University Press, number 9780674050204, December.
- Sarasvathy, D. K. & Simon, Herbert A. & Lave, Lester, 1998. "Perceiving and managing business risks: differences between entrepreneurs and bankers," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 207-225, January.
- Maart, Syster Christin & Musshoff, Oliver & Ewald, Jorn, 2012. "Ermittlung Der Individuellen Risikoeinstellung: Vergleich Verschiedener Methoden Und Personengruppen," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137384, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Dreber, Anna & Rand, David & Wernerfelt, Nils & Worrell, Peter & Zeckhauser, Richard, 2013. "The Decisions of Entrepreneurs and Their Agents: Revealed Levels of Risk Aversion and Betrayal Aversion," Working Paper Series rwp13-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.