Cross Sectional Analysis of the Swedish Stock Market
AbstractThis paper analyses the ability of beta and other factors, like firm size and book-to-market, to explain cross-sectional variation in average stock returns on the Swedish stock market for the period 1980-1990. We correct for errors in variables problem of the estimated market beta. Since this method takes into account the measurement error we do not have to form portfolios and thereby losing information. We use both separate cross-sectional regressions and a pooled regression model to estimate the risk premiums of the different factors. An Extreme Bounds Analysis is utilised for testing the sensitivity of the estimated coefficients to changes in the set of the included explanatory variables. Since the tests are carried out on realised returns, which presumably are quite noisy approximations of expected returns, we study if beta can systematically explain cross-sectional differences among realised stock returns conditional on the sign of the realised market excess return. Our results show that the coefficient for beta is never significantly different from zero, but the estimates differ across the methods mentioned above. However, we find that beta is priced differently in periods with positive versus periods with negative realised market return. In the Extreme Bounds Analysis, the coefficient for the size variable is always significantly negative.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Lund University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2002:19.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 24 Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Lund University, Box 7082, S-220 07 Lund,Sweden
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Cross sectional model; Swedish stock returns; errors in variables; extreme bound analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Wang, Zhenyu, 1996.
" The Conditional CAPM and the Cross-Section of Expected Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 3-53, March.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 1996. "The conditional CAPM and the cross-section of expected returns," Staff Report 208, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Steven L. Heston & K. Geert Rouwenhorst & Roberto E. Wessels, 1999.
"The Role of Beta and Size in the Cross-Section of European Stock Returns,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 5(1), pages 9-27.
- Steven Heston & K. Rouwenhorst & Roberto Wessels, 2008. "The Role of Beta and Size in the Cross-Section of European Stock Returns," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm86, Yale School of Management.
- Isakov, D., 1997.
"Is Beta Still Alive? Conclusive Evidence from the Swiss Stock market,"
97.17, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Universite de Geneve-.
- Dusan Isakov, 1999. "Is beta still alive? Conclusive evidence from the Swiss stock market," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 202-212.
- Pettengill, Glenn N. & Sundaram, Sridhar & Mathur, Ike, 1995. "The Conditional Relation between Beta and Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 101-116, March.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1983.
"Let's Take the Con Out of Econometrics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 31-43, March.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1994.
" Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1541-78, December.
- Josef Lakonishok & Robert W. Vishny & Andrei Shleifer, 1993. "Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk," NBER Working Papers 4360, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Josef Lakonishok & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1993. "Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 84, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.