The Willingness to Pay for a QALY - Results based on value of statistical life estimates in Sweden
AbstractAs the use of cost-effectiveness analysis with quality adjusted life years (QALY) as the outcome measure grows in policy use, a major unresolved issue is that of the monetary value to place on a QALY. This paper addresses this issue by estimating and discussing willingness to pay (WTP) estimates for a QALY in Sweden This paper uses all published estimates of the value of a statistical life since the year 2000, based on a Swedish population, to implicitly derive the WTP for a QALY. Based on 16 recently published estimates of the value of a statistical life (year 2000 or later) in Sweden, 11 papers explicitly stating that they estimate policy values of VSL are used to estimate the WTP for a QALY. Estimates range from 750,000 to 3,200,000 Swedish kronor (approx. €80,000 to €350,000) assuming a discount rate of 3%. Using the current government-recommended estimate of value of a statistical life produces a value of approx. 1.2 million Swedish kronor (€130,000) per QALY. There is significant variance in the WTP for a QALY based on conversions from value of statistical life estimates in Sweden. Still, using a discount rate of 3%, the range of estimates in this paper is higher compared to the current informal “thresholds” as discussed by Swedish government authorities.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Karlstad University in its series Karlstad University Working Papers in Economics with number 2.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 02 Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Dept of Economics, Karlstad University, Universitetsgatan 1, SE 651 88 Karlstad, Sweden
Phone: 054 - 700 13 56
Fax: 054 - 700 14 97
Web page: http://www.kau.se/node/12323
More information through EDIRC
QALY; Willingness to pay; Value of a statistical life; Contingent Valuation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- H51 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Health
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose Luis Pinto Prades & Graham Loomes & Raul Brey, 2008.
"Trying to estimate a monetary value for the QALY,"
08.09, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Corso, Phaedra S & Hammitt, James K & Graham, John D, 2001. " Valuing Mortality-Risk Reduction: Using Visual Aids to Improve the Validity of Contingent Valuation," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 165-84, September.
- Sherwin Rosen, .
"The Value of Changes in Life Expectancy,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
87-14, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Dorte Gyrd-Hansen, 2003. "Willingness to pay for a QALY," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(12), pages 1049-1060.
- Henrik Andersson, 2005. "The Value of Safety as Revealed in the Swedish Car Market: An Application of the Hedonic Pricing Approach," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 211-239, May.
- Weinstein, Milton C & Shepard, Donald S & Pliskin, Joseph S, 1980. "The Economic Value of Changing Mortality Probabilities: A Decision-Theoretic Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 373-96, March.
- Hammitt, James K & Graham, John D, 1999. "Willingness to Pay for Health Protection: Inadequate Sensitivity to Probability?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 33-62, April.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Daruvala, Dinky & Jaldell, Henrik, 2008. "Value of statistical life and cause of accident: A choice experiment," Working Papers in Economics 332, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Hultkrantz, Lars & Svensson, Mikael, 2012. "The value of a statistical life in Sweden: A review of the empirical literature," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 302-310.
- Nancy Devlin & David Parkin, 2004. "Does NICE have a cost-effectiveness threshold and what other factors influence its decisions? A binary choice analysis," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 437-452.
- Jones-Lee, Michael W, 1974. "The Value of Changes in the Probability of Death or Injury," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 835-49, July/Aug..
- Bleichrodt, Han & Wakker, Peter & Johannesson, Magnus, 1997. "Characterizing QALYs by Risk Neutrality," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 107-14, November.
- Arianne de Blaeij & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Piet Rietveld & Erik T. Verhoef, 2000. "The Value of Statistical Life in Road Safety: A Meta-Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-089/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Helen Mason & Michael Jones-Lee & Cam Donaldson, 2009. "Modelling the monetary value of a QALY: a new approach based on UK data," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(8), pages 933-950.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mikael Svensson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.