Fiscal Policy Coordination in Europe
AbstractA fundamental overhaul of EU economic governance is needed. The most important reform is a strengthening of national fiscal frameworks, including the establishment of independent fiscal watchdogs in Member States that do not yet have such institutions. At the European level, a permanent crisis resolution mechanism should be integrated with both broader macroeconomic surveillance and the sanction system. An independent European fiscal council could, based on macroeconomic risk considerations, decide in advance appropriate haircuts in the event of future sovereign debt restructuring.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies in its series Seminar Papers with number 765.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 18 Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Institute for International Economic Studies, Stockholm University, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Web page: http://www.iies.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
EU; economic governance; fiscal policy; macroeconomics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A00 - General Economics and Teaching - - General - - - General
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-03-12 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2011-03-12 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-03-12 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lindbeck, Assar & Persson, Mats, 2008.
"A Continuous Model of Income Insurance,"
Working Paper Series
763, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- IANCU, Aurel, 2013. "Extending Financialisation and Increasing Fragility of the Financial System," Working Papers of National Institute of Economic Research 130307, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Ferré, Montserrat, 2012.
"The effects of uncertainty about countries’ compliance with the Stability and Growth Pact,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 660-674.
- Ferré Carracedo, Montserrat, 2011. "The effects of uncertainty about countries' compliance with the Stability and Growth Pact," Working Papers 2072/169686, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hanna Christiansson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.