Comparing teachers’ assessments and national test results – evidence from Sweden
AbstractThis study compares results on national tests with teachers’ assessment of student performance, by using Swedish data of grade 9 students (16 years old). I examine whether there are systematic differences correlated with gender and ethnic background. That is, if the relationship between school leaving certificates and national test results differs between girls and boys or between natives and non-natives. The results show that girls are more generously rewarded in teachers’ assessment compared to test results in all three subjects studied. Non-native students are more generously rewarded in teachers’ assessment compared to test results in two out of three subjects studied.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy in its series Working Paper Series with number 2007:24.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 16 Oct 2007
Date of revision:
School performance; gender; race;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2007-11-10 (Education)
- NEP-URE-2007-11-10 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Falch, Torberg & Naper, Linn Renée, 2013.
"Educational evaluation schemes and gender gaps in student achievement,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 12-25.
- Torberg Falch & Linn Renée Naper, 2011. "Educational Evaluation Schemes and Gender Gaps in Student Achievement," Working Paper Series 11311, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Tyrefors Hinnerich, Björn & Höglin, Erik & Johannesson, Magnus, 2010.
"Are boys discriminated in Swedish high schools?,"
Working Paper Series
2010:14, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Ewijk, R. van, .
"Same work, lower grade? Student ethnicity and teachers' subjective assessments,"
21, Top Institute for Evidence Based Education Research.
- van Ewijk, Reyn, 2011. "Same work, lower grade? Student ethnicity and teachers' subjective assessments," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1045-1058, October.
- Reyn van Ewijk, 2010. "Same Work, Lower Grade? Student Ethnicity and Teachers’ Subjective Assessments," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-127/3, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margareta Wicklander).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.